Tiptronic gearbox. Opinions

I am having trouble taking in all the information I am finding about tiptronic gearboxes. All the info. is too technical for me.

I have seen a few Audi's and Superbs for sales with such a gear box, I was looking for some basic 'pros/cons' info and also about fuel economy, and 'longevity' of such a gear box (will it last).

I am a predominantly Motorway driver, looking for a Diesel, and commute 140KM (85miles) round trip daily (95% motorway, 5% city streets)

Problem is, it depends what you mean, and there's lots to take in.

There can be conventional (torque converter with epicyclic gearbox) autos with a tiptronic-style shift, Audi did a belt-drive CVT that had a tiptronic-like mode, and there's DSG.

I *think* the mormal autoboxes are reliable, but there's a fuel/performance penalty. The CVT (steptronic?) isn't the most reliable.

DSG has very little performance/economy penalty, but long-term reliablility is maybe a bit of an unknown. It's great to drive though.

If you narrow down what models and years you are looking at that will help.

I am having trouble taking in all the information I am finding about tiptronic gearboxes. All the info. is too technical for me.

I have seen a few Audi's and Superbs for sales with such a gear box, I was looking for some basic 'pros/cons' info and also about fuel economy, and 'longevity' of such a gear box (will it last).

I am a predominantly Motorway driver, looking for a Diesel, and commute 140KM (85miles) round trip daily (95% motorway, 5% city streets)

2 ways to look at this, 1 - you are on the motorway mainly so changing gear isn't much of an issue, 2 - an auto working on the motorway won't lose much over a manual.

I've got one a 1.9 auto, around the town I'd estimate she loses 8 mpg over the manual, but still returns near 30 mpg anyway, reliable? my mates one gave up at 92, I've got 89k on mine right now and it's still ok, but there is evidence to suggest the box has been out prior to me owning the car.

On what you say I'd estimate you will see 40mpg on a bad week and 45mpg on a good one, recently I did a 150 mile jog and it was showing near 52mpg. hth.

The torque converter VAG autos are lousy, waste fuel (particularly on the diesels where the engine torque is high so there is lots of slip) and are unreliable. VAG's sillly maintenance schedule (fluid sealed for life?) doesn't help.

This is why they designed the DSG. Time will tell whether or not it's reliable - there have been rather a lot of early casualties. VAG have given up with N-S engine layouts for 2 wheel drive vehicles, so DSG will only be available for transverse applications on these types.

If you need an auto, I'd go elsewhere until the DSG has proved itself.

rotodiesel.

The torque converter VAG autos are lousy, waste fuel (particularly on the diesels where the engine torque is high so there is lots of slip) and are unreliable. VAG's sillly maintenance schedule (fluid sealed for life?) doesn't help..

I have been told by someone who used to design auto transmissions that making a TC auto for FWD is hard, because the TC has to be smaller than ideal, so is less efficient.

True up to a point, but the torque of the diesel engine (very high at low engine speeds where the torque convertor is least efficient) is the real killer - hence the DSG which has a solid drive.

Of course, it's the availability of masses of low speed torque which makes it so useful as a manual car.

rotodiesel.

If you go for a DSG get something that is in VW warranty period, it's 3k for the box and 2k for the mecatronic unit, i.e glorified ECU, making it a 5k total to replace, they are also a bit dodgy on the starter motor to flywheel area as well, one can bend the other as my mate found out a few weeks ago, for fuel and drive the DSG it's the one though, but be sure anything you test does creep in drive and reverse without pressing any pedal and that it doesn't jerk you when changing.

Thanks for all the input. A lot for me to take in. Some of it makes sense to me :)

It is not that I am after a tiptronic gearbox, but I just seen a few for sale here in Sweden. I am after a Diesel in General, but they either:

1- sell immediately (I never seen them 2nd hand in dealers)

2 -are very overpriced.

UK has a great 2nd hand market for cars that I envy very much.

Hi

I have a 2.5 tdi ( be quiet Rotodiesel I know ):rotz:

Have the tip and love it, use it in auto to get going at junctions or to burn off jack the lads as the uptake once the turbo kicks in is excellent. Then move to auto. Also stops you getting bored!!

Raptor

Hi

I have a 2.5 tdi ( be quiet Rotodiesel I know ):rotz:

Have the tip and love it, use it in auto to get going at junctions or to burn off jack the lads as the uptake once the turbo kicks in is excellent. Then move to auto. Also stops you getting bored!!

Raptor

I totally agree Raptor