AUM to AUQ replacement, help needed

Hi there, I was wondering if anybody can help me at all regarding these two engine types. From what i have read they are identical except for 'one different boot (rubber seal/pipe) on the charge air cooler' and the ECU. Does this mean if i get an AUQ engine i can interchange all the parts with my AUM? My timing belt went big time and at the moment i can only get hold of an AUQ engine. Help is very much appreciated :D

Search is your friend!

The following versions of the 1.8T engine can be found fitted to the UK-spec Octavia with manual gearbox:

AGU 110KW/150bhp Octavia FWD 10/96 > 07/00

AUM 110kW/150bhp Octavia FWD 08/00 >

ARX 110kW/150bhp Octavia 4X4 08/00 >

AUQ 132kW/180bhp Octavia vRS 12/00 >

Dealing with the 3 current engines first, the AUM, ARX and AUQ share the same block, cylinder head, internal parts, intake system and throttle valve control unit, turbocharger, charge air cooler, exhaust manifold, injectors, spark plugs, lubrication system and fuel system (excluding fuel tank etc). Apart from the fact that the ARX (4X4) has a different return oil line for the turbocharger, and the AUQ (vRS) one different boot (rubber seal/pipe) on the charge air cooler, the 3 engines are identical. The ECUs for all 3 engines do however differ, as do the exhausts. The same clutch is used on all 3 engines (and by the AGU). The AUQ is fitted with a different crankshaft impulse sender to the AGU, AUM and ARX; and the AGU and AUQ use the same knock sensor and harness, while the AUM and ARX both use a different anti-knock sensor.

The AGU was fitted to the UK-spec Octavia 1.8T FWD between 10/96 and 07/00 and remains in production for other markets. Whilst the engine is substantially the same mechanically as the AUM, ARX and AUQ, the cylinder block and pistons are different, as are the cylinder head with valves and camshaft. Specifically, the cylinder head, camshafts, pistons, con rods and bearing shells are different, but the crankshaft, vibration damper, flywheel and clutch are the same. Other differences include the cable throttle, smaller injectors and turbocharger, and the absence of VVT. These differences mean that it is not as tuneable as the later versions. Moreover, unlike the later engines, the AGU was not designed for variable (extended) service intervals.

NB. The ARX initially shared the same turbocharger as the AGU, but from May 2001 is fitted with the same turbocharger as the AUM and AUQ.

Hi Peppy, this is where i looked first but it really is just that and nothing else at all?! Was it really worth them making another engine type for it lol. If this is the case i will go ahead and get the AUQ, i need the cylinder head, valves, pistons and bearings and of course timing belt! but the belt i will get new for sure.

I can not confirm what Westallc has said, but it's not the first time I've seen/heard it said. Whats wrong with the AUQ unit you are getting? If nothing would it not be easier to just replace the whole engine?

Yeah this is want i want know for sure, didn't wanna take what he said as gospel, no offence to Westallc. Nothing is wrong with the AUQ engine at all in fact it has less miles than my dead AUM. The problem i have is that i am in Cyprus and changing the block would mean reregestering the car with the new engine number and here it is a complete nightmare, not to mention about 800 Euros to do so.

Great westallc, thanks :D Just gonna be spending a big wad of cash and want be sure i am doing the right thing that's all. I have a good mechanic here but he is very particular and he is a bit iffy about using another engine code to the one i have.