New to Briskoda.Net

Uncle Kev

Hi there, I am new to Briskoda, but have been an Octavia II driver (1.9 TDi Elegance Estate) for almost four years.

I have consistently stated that it is the best car I have ever owned (previously F**ds and Peu***ts). However two days ago my love of the brand was brought into question.

On 26th June I was returning to Hampshire from Cumbria when my Turbo-charger when caput on the M6. Skoda Assist/RAC were great in the initial diagnosis of the fault and relaying us home.

Once we were home I made a fatal mistake. The dealer I brought the car new from (2005) went into receivership in 2007 and as there is no Approved Skoda garage in Basingstoke I chose to use a great little garage, SJB Autotech, to undertake servicing, MOTs etc on my Octavia. Two guys who are both ex-VW/Audi Technicians who clearly know there stuff.

I called SJB to see if they could undertake the full diagnosis and repair and within 5 days the car was fully repaired and back on the road, albeit we are >£1500 worse off.

At the suggestion of SJB I wrote polietly to Skoda UK and asked if they would like to inspect the Turbo unit and perhaps consider a 'goodwill' gesture towards my costs.

The response from Skoda UK:

As I did not show "loyalty to the Skoda brand" by getting the turbo fault diagnosed and repaired by a Skoda Approved garage they do not want to know and will not consider any goodwill gesture.

It would seem the age old issue of "if you don't get your car serviced/repaired by our dealer at our rip off rates we don't want to know"

Will I buy another Skoda after this experience?

Sorry to be harsh but at the end of the day the car is out of warranty, you haven't supported their business as you haven't used their services, so what reason do they have to give you free money? ;)

I agree it would have kept you happier and perhaps persuaded you to buy a second Skoda but they have to make money just as much as we have to earn it. ;)

Whilst I can understand that you are upset I have to agree with Skodas position on this one, the car is out of warranty and you haven't had it serviced or repaired by them, so why should they offer you a goodwill payment?? Had you taken it to a Skoda garage for repair then you would have been in a position to ask for a goodwill gesture (maybe) and Skoda would be in a better position to help, ie the supply of the part and or labour at cost rather than the inflated price you will have paid at a n other garage.

Hi Uncle Kev,

Sorry to hear about your car never good, I'm in Basingstoke too, it is a bit rubbish seeing tha the only Skoda garages are either Winchester or Newbury. Hope things get better for you.

I would have got the car serviced by Jackson's Skoda had they not gone into receivership. Skoda tell me there are 5 approved garages in the Basingstoke area. Including a new dealership on the Bath Road in Reading.

Unfortunately I moved from Reading to Basingstoke 18 months ago!

welcome mate, sorry to hear about that, but like a couple of members have already said, i'm going to stick up for Skoda on this one.....

i can appreciate there aren't any Skoda dealers near you, however i work for a Scania dealer and we have had numerous customers who have applied for the 'goodwill' gesture, only to have found out they do ALL the servicing and repairs themselves, therefore not giving any aftersales to us. Obviously your case is a fair bit different, but i can see where they're coming from.

i hope this doesnt put you off Skoda's too much!