Fabia 1.4 tensioner help!

badj

Hi all,

New here and in need of help if someone is in the know.

I have a 1.4 8v fabia (with A/C) and am in the process of changing the auxiliary belt. I can't see how the tensioner is supposed to be released though?

The tensioner is mounted on a shaft which goes over the A/C compressor to a rubber bush on the other end. There isnt a nut on the pulley to get a spanner on, and I cant figure out at all how else to do it. I'm at my wits end!

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, the drivers side window wont operate (no response). I've check the fuse, switch and motor and all are fine, the regulator is fine too?

Thanks

Chris:thumbup:

Hi

I tried the fuses trick, left them out for a minute or so with no luck. The passenger window goes up and down with the key held in the relevant position in the lock on drivers door, the mirrors and locking work also on drivers side as well as the passenger window on drivers side, just seems to be no response from drivers window. To sum up -

Tried another switch

Tested the motor on opposite side

Pulled and checked fuses

Regulator is fine

Odd...

• 9 months later...

I have the problem with window not operating as normal. Im going to swap the switch in the drivers door first, otherwise im suspecting the the £215 ESCU box which it and everything else seems to be plugged into. Got an Electronic Systems Control Unit box from scrap yard for £30 (i also have a problem with the boot intermitently opening on the boot door switch, so got it as that seemed to be problem) which i thought was a good purchase as the local Skoda dealer told me that box was compatable with my 1.9 SDi Fabia estate (basic model). Plugged it in, a fairly easy job to take out the dash and swap box, only to have an ABS light come on. My car doesn't have ABS. After further delving and a few phone calls, fould that the code was right BUT the last letter is critical as there are 6 versions of the same box, all for different levels of extras.

The reason i say it could be the box is when i opened my one up, there are rows of little relays which could fail and cause intermittent and perminent failures.

Why is everything plugged into one box? Even the cigerette lighter is attached to it !!! (power to the light). One thing fails and instead of just £30 for little box, its £215 for one big box with lots and lots of connectors.

Also i had / have a prob with my tensioner. So far i have had 2 fitted (1 worn out and whining then sheared off, replacement sheered off) then the bolt has sheared that holds it in 2 times THIS WEEK. Going to get a high tensile 8mm bolt to hold it in. Hope that solves it.

Apart form that i love my little Skoda estate. When it grows up it wants to be a VRS lol