Hi guys, just wondered if anyone could describe / post an image of how the rubber exhaust mount fits exactly on the back box. I know it sounds like a silly question but my back box is hitting my spare tyre holder if I push the bar holding the exhaust only half way through the mount then the exhaust doesn't hit the car but I'm a bit worried the exhaust will fall out of of the mount as there is nothing to hold it in. An insight would be greatly appriciated

You've already got the basic idea. You're looking for things like misaligned, stretched, wrong length or broken hangers on the centre section (and maybe front too, if there are hangers there), which are pulling the pipe out of the stengthening rib down the centreline (most FWD cars are similar here).

Thanks for the help guys, Ian thats exactly how I had my mount, if you rock your back box left and right does it hit anything while sitting like that ?

Centre section rubber seems a little too strechy so I've got a new one on order and the back box seems slightly twisted and doesn't sit in the centre of the exhaust cut out from the body work. Not sure if the two are related. Only thought of checking the one at the very end silly me !

Also what is the strengthening rib ?

Edited by Rob_T
Addition

Put a new centre mount on and have put the bar only half through the rear mount and put a bit of rubber so it can't go all the way through the rear mount. The exhaust looks like its in the right place now and doesn't seem to knock, thanks guys.

Just as a side, can I use generic halfords "power steering fluid" to top up (I'm not sure what's in there at the moment)? and is it correct that I should only top up to the minimum mark on the dipstick when the engine is cold ?