Got a fright...

...this morning, when turning into my road, suddenly the car started juddering, lacked power, and then spluttered almost to a standstill. Engine management light started flashing like mad, and I immediately started fearing the worst - just been paid, and was suddenly expecting to lose half my month's money in fixing the car.

The AA came out, the guy started the car and said "I bet it's a coil".

Sure enough, he hooked up VAG-COM and one of the coils had failed. He had one in the van, and fitted it for £30.

To say I was relieved is an understatement. Thank you, AA! :thumbup:

Glad it was a quick fix.

These coils are an achilles heel in VAG engines. My 2.0 FSi Audi went through all four in the space of twelve months, and the RAC don't hold them in stock, so it was a tow to the stealers each time. They were all done under warranty, but the hassle was annoying.

If one goes on my 1.4 16v Fabia I will change all of them at the same time for peace of mind.