vRS - EPC warning light on (sometimes)

The dreaded EPC light came on my vRS today!!

Over the last couple of days, the car has not started as cleanly as normal when the engine was hot. It turns over fine and does start, but it sometimes takes a while for it to catch.

Thought nothing of it (blamed the wife as you do) but today it did it again, but this time the EPC light came on and stayed on all the way home (all of 5 miles).

I have searched the forum for causes and found that there are unfortunately quite a few :(

I have checked the brake lights and they all work. Checked the coolant temp sensor, gave it a clean and the light went out.

Still, better get it checked in case it is something more serious.

Local dealers (Skoda, VW and Audi) all use a local VAG electronics expert. They will charge £75+vat / hour for the pleasure. Got hold of the electrician direct and he lives around the corner so will pop round to my house tomorrow to run full diag. The best thing is, he only charges £25/hour direct. Thats stealers for you!!! 200% mark up for doing no work themselves :eek:

I will post the results when I get them.

Guest westallc

local vag electronics expert???:confused: are you sure as all the techs are trained to do this job its only vagcom buddy...

alot of people on here have vagcom you only need to run a fault diagnoses to then find the issue.. i dont belive main dealers would use this bloke just to do all the vag com work:O but i may be wrong

just look on the list on here for people with vag com and 9 times out of ten someone is local and you will only need to buy them a drink :thumbup:

Cheers m8, I will get the fault code tonight and let you know what it reads.

It does sound like the exact the same symptons to me. If I leave the car for 5/10 mins it starts.

Bad time to happen, just paid for holiday so I'm broke :(

OK, fault code was 16706 - Engine Speed Sensor, but showing as intermittent fault.

Also detected Coolant Temperature Sensor error.

Fault codes has been cleared. Tested car for two hours without any errors! I will keep my eye on it.

Still, the electrian didn't charge me for his time :D

I had an intermittant fault on my 4x4, the EPC light would come on and the car go into limp mode. Engine speed sensor intermiitant/implausiable signal. Can't recall the code.

I found water ingress in the connector, around 2mm deep! Once dried out with compressed air I applied di-electric grease and re-connected. I have had no issues since!

The connector is very hard to remove with the sensor fitted, persist though and you may have a cheap and easy cure.