ASR light hell...help needed!!

Help needed, Recently my mk1 vrs 1.8t has developed a fault and become poorly :rotz:

It seems when you try and accelerate hard the ASR light illuminates the dash and at this time it usually developes a flat spot or whilst releasing the clutch after changing gear its like hitting a brick wall ( no power ), it feels your going backwards!! :confused:

The car has had a remap in May but the fault is very recent, i'm hoping there not linked. I have taken it back to the garage who did the remap, they were helpful and pointed out a couple of hoses which were holed. They have been changed but i still have the fault, it has the guys at my local garage scratching their heads. Maff sensor and air filter have also been changed.

Please can anyone help before i have to take that dreaded drive to the 'MAIN DEALERS' who want £100 just to plug it in :mad:.

Guest westallc

that is what it does mate when a wheel looses a tad of grip the asr automatically shut the power off so it feels like the car has died lol

this is meant to happen as this is what the asr is for...

what i have done is turn it off as its a complete waist of time and very dangerous..

so my tip is to turn it off :thumbup:

this would have become more apparent after the map as you have alot more power meaning tyres wil spin up

Guest westallc
Cheers mate but it does the same when its switch off. Its a nightmare!!:rotz:

are you sure the switch is working properly try pulling the fuse for the asr out..... as the symtoms you give is the exact way the asr is meant to work:confused:

what its doing is sending a signal to the throttle body to close..

the maf and the other bits will not do this..

does the light on the dash stay on permanent when you switch it off??

Yeah mate, when i turn it off the light stays on. When the car starts its usual antics even with the ASR off ( light on ), it wont allow me to turn it on (turn the light off). Until i switch the ignition off. When the remap garage hooked car up to pc, 3 codes cant remember numbers but....

1. loosing boost pressure

2. running rich

3. running lean

The guy there said he couldn't understand 2 & 3 being there together.

My aftermarket turbo intake had popped off the turbo. Fix was clamp it on with a big clamp and a new MAF.

Maybe you still have a boost leak somewhere?

Yes, i'm thinking that. I'll check for the leak tomorrow.

cheers mate:thumbup:

is this problem intermittent? and when it happens does the light stay on for 3-4 engine starts?

is the car accurately reflecting the engine temperature? i.e. is it slower/faster to warm up in the morning? does the fan run after you have turned to car off?

I had this problem a while back with a 1.6 octy, engine temperature sensor was fritzed and needed replacing. Go to a dealer, diagnosing this fault cost me over €500 in two garages before finally going to the skoda dealers. the sensor cost me €25~ and labour was 60... kicked myself afterwards for not going straight to the skoda dealer.

This is a weird skoda problem and the dealers will fix it quickly... if anyone can.

incidentally, a friend of mine had a slightly different one where it would come on under heavy acceleration, not OTT acceleration, idle to first acceleration... turns out the new tyres she bought were two different sides and this was reaking havok on the ASR sensors :rofl: