My MFD3 Columbus

...is a retrofit that was coded to my car when Vrs Stu very kindly fitted my OEM bluetooth.

I got the unit from vwnaviparts on ebay last August. It came with its seals intact and a skoda card with the security code on.

It originally had v2 maps but now has v3 maps.

I have no idea what firmware is inside or whether it is an A or B. But, it is a Skoda MFD3 as opposed to a VW RNS-510.

I have tried to make sense of the threads that currently exist but some are so long that they have become quite confusing.

Fellow briskodians, please could you help with the following questions!

1. Will v5 maps be much better than my current v3 maps? My house is almost 4 years old, yet my road doesn't exist on v3 maps!

2. Where can I get v5 maps from on an actual DVD!? I am guessing a Skoda dealer can help but I also know that will be very expensive!

3. How do I find out what firmware is installed?

4. Would anybody recommend me updating my firmware or should I be grateful to have a working unit rather than an expensive door stop!?

All replies gratefully received!

Ben

1. A little bit but dont expect miracles! V5 maps are the same as V4 I believe (circa Oct 07) Modded BMW maps would be more uptodate - thats what I am getting for mine when time allows.

2. From Skoda or Ebay if you want a DVD and dont want to download and burn your own.

3. You need VAG-COM to enable the 'secret' menu to look at this info on the Columbus.

4. Depends what you want, I took a chance and did mine as I wanted to be able to read SDHC cards.