Quick wheel + brake question

Hopefully a simple question;

whats the smallest sized wheel that a set of standard 288mm vRS brakes will fit under? I have a 1.4 with 256(?)mm at the minute, and 14 inch rims and am hoping the 288's will fit under 15 inch wheels as then the insurance don't need to know. :)

The other thing, would it be ok to put the old 14inch wheels on the back while the tread wears down, if I have 15/16 inch wheels on the front?

Thanks,

Joe:)

Edited by TriggerFish

So are you not planning to tell the insurance about the 15/16" wheels as well as the brakes? :robocop:

If the tyres are the correct sizes then technically there won't be a problem with different sized wheels on the front and rear, I'd suggest that cosmetically your car won't exactly look great though.

So are you not planning to tell the insurance about the 15/16" wheels as well as the brakes? :robocop:

Well it could have 15 inch rims from the factory, so it's one less thing to raise the premuim. I would of course declare the brakes, as they would be a change from standard, but 15inch wheels wouldn't be if I get proper Skoda ones.

If the tyres are the correct sizes then technically there won't be a problem with different sized wheels on the front and rear, I'd suggest that cosmetically your car won't exactly look great though.

It wouldn't be for too long, and apperance really isn't something I care for, I have an estate at 18 after all.

Hopefully a simple question;

whats the smallest sized wheel that a set of standard 288mm vRS brakes will fit under? I have a 1.4 with 256(?)mm at the minute, and 14 inch rims and am hoping the 288's will fit under 15 inch wheels as then the insurance don't need to know. :)

The other thing, would it be ok to put the old 14inch wheels on the back while the tread wears down, if I have 15/16 inch wheels on the front?

Thanks,

Joe:)

Just a quick point.

You do know you will need new hubs and wheel bearings to fit the 288mm brakes don't you?

I didn't know this, no.

Not really what I wanted to hear, as I imagine they are quite expensive aren't they?

Doesn't look like I will be fitting them then. My theory was people who have upgraded to 312's would want rid of the 288's, so it would be a cheap upgrade.

Check out this link <-----clicky

The part numbers are given at the bottom for the hubs and bearings, I have no idea on price though

You can always look for a rear ended VRS at a breakers for them though :thumbup:

It is also possible to fit 312mm Brakes to a Fabia that doesn’t have the 288mm brakes as standard but you would require new hubs -

I only want the 288mm brakes, not the 312mm, do they still need the new hubs?

in a word yes

the 288mm discs on the VRS go with the different VRS hubs, and these will take the 312mm (TT and other VAG cars) brakes as a straight swap, but the calipers and carriers need upgrading as the 288mm calipers and carriers don't fit.

I do not know if the calipers and carriers from the 256mm set up will fit on the 288mm discs from the VRS, but my guess is not.