STREAM - can't access hidden menu

Hi,

First post here.

I have a '55 Octavia L&K with a STREAM non-mp3 standard CD system with multi-changer.

I have been studying these forums as my MW reception is rubbish (compared to my previous Mazda 6 system) and I'm hoping for a fix. I have manually inspected the wiring to the base of the bee-sting aerial and it looks in order - ie the co-ax is in place and radio goes off when unplugged.

However, I would like to access the hidden menu to check to see if ANT=ON.

I do not have a 'MENU' button to hold for the 10 secs. I do have an INFO button which, when held, gives me 2 VIN numbers and that is all. Do I have the hidden menu feature on this set and if so, how do I access it?

Thanks

K

Hi and welcome to Briskoda :)

So you don't have the menu button as shown in this picture?

stream_mp3.jpg

This is the MP3 version but I wasn't aware there were any cosmetic differences between the two units.

Thanks for the replies. I can confirm that my stream HU is different to the one pictured here. It has no 'menu' button and there are no buttons with rubbed off writing. It has a 'mode', 'info' button as well as the usual cd,af,as etc buttons. Holding the 'info' button for 10 sec seems to be the only one that does anything, but not what i'm after.

So you don't have the menu button as shown in this picture?

stream_mp3.jpg

This is the MP3 version but I wasn't aware there were any cosmetic differences between the two units.

I'm guessing his looks more like this:

Skoda_Stream.jpg

Which might be an earlier non-uk version?

You guess correctly. This is the unit in my car - which then takes me back to my original question.......

How to access the hidden menu on this unit to check my aerial amp - that's presuming that there is a hidden menu of course.

Anyone?

K

This may sound stupid but have you tried pressing random buttons down for 10 seconds to see if one will reveal the hidden screen? the GEO button seems to be as good a place as any to start.

Seems hit and miss but its worth a shot, I thought all of the Stream units were the same.

This may sound stupid but have you tried pressing random buttons down for 10 seconds to see if one will reveal the hidden screen? the GEO button seems to be as good a place as any to start.

Seems hit and miss but its worth a shot, I thought all of the Stream units were the same.

Yes, already tried holding every button down. Only the 'info' button gives the 2 VIN numbers.

K

Doesn't sound promising then does it.

Our vRS is going in for a new antenna base next week, when I scanned it with VCDS it logged a fault relating to the antenna and the 'ANT OFF' was shown on the secret menu on the Stream MP3. Can you get someone to run a quick fault code scan on the car for you?

If all else fails it might be worth a punt to order a new one and fit it provided the part isn't hugely expensive. They are notorious for going wrong as you probably know.

Rather than ordering and fitting a new antenna base, I would definately first get someone to do a VCDS scan. You'll find a local member on herenwho will have a lead. And if there's no one on here, have a look on www.seatcupra.net or the VW or audi forums. There will be a lead out there, very close to you, somewhere! And this will not cost you more than a bit of beer money! You may end up buying and fitting a new antenna base and finding that isn't the problem.

As far as the radios are concerned, I had a standard Stream in my Octavia before I upgraded to a nav unit, and I was always told that the standard Stream did not have a menu button or hidden menu. This was only available on the Stream mp3 version. It's marked on the front of your radio, either Stream, or Stream mp3.

Also, I was also told that the hidden menu was only on the units that had the option on the audio button for mid tone as well as bass and treble, once again on the mp3 units. The standard unit only allows you to change the bass and treble, with no mid tone setting available.

Perhaps someone with a Stream mp3 can confirm? jamesmckelvie?

Hope this helps

Mike

Cheers Mike, it does help.

I think the way forward is to replace the HU in my car. MP3 sounds appealing but would this interfere with my 6x Changer in the boot? Or do both run together?

I also like the sound of a MID control as this might go some way to correcting what is the most awful sound from the existing setup. Coming from a Mazda 6 with BOSE 6-way speaker system, crystal clear AM and stunning clarity, I am shocked at how bad the Skoda sounds.

I'm sort of thinking that the aerial may be ok as the AM and FM reception is solid enough and doesn't 'dip' or 'cut' out, it's just very 'boxy' (at least AM is) and this could just be the HU I guess.

Am I right in thinking that if I was to buy the later MP3 model (there are some on Ebay) I would be able to program the code if I had access to VAG COM or do you still need to have a physical code supplied with the radio to do this? Hope that makes sense. I'm a bit confused as I gather the code is stored in the ECU and some adverts on Ebay for Skoda radios say 'supplied with code' which contradicts somewhat.

Thanks for all the help.

K

The Stream MP3 will still run the 6 CD changer in the boot and will also have the menu button. Check what you are buying from Ebay as you do get the code with the car beacause as you said it is stored in the ECU. There have been various posts regarding stored codes etc, so a search might give you the answer.

Layout of Stream mp3 connections

http://briskoda.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=29710&d=1248556959

Whereabouts are you based Kev? As Mike says, I'm sure there'll be someone nearby who'll scan the car for you.

Update your profile with a bit of location info - doesn't have to be exact; a county/city would be a decent start :D

Steve