An Alternative to millers power sport 4

skudmissile

On my quest for the ultimate fuel (i make my own biodiesel) i have stumbled across an exciting discovery.

The actual name for the stuff in millers diesel adDitive is 2 ETHYL HEXYL NITRATE and i have a bottle of the stuff in front of me :thumbup:

Its sold with a name of Biotane for the imporvement of cetane levels in home made fuels but it smells identical to millers power sport 4 ;)

After testing in the volvo which runs on normal expensive pump fuel I can confirm that it does have identical improvements to the millers stuff but heres the best bit..... it costs £15 for 1l and the dilution ratio is 1ml of biotane to 1l of fuel :D

Just thought I would share this with you nice people :thumbup:

If anyone wants some I am sure I could get more of the stuff :thumbup:

2-EHN has been used for years in both petrol and Diesel additives (mixed with, mostly, naptha). In Diesels it acts as a detonation booster. It does work to an extent, of course, but increases NOx emissions slightly.

You can buy it as 'Vegiboost' to use when making biodiesel - but be careful with it, its nasty toxic stuff (in neat form) and also rather explosive.

On my quest for the ultimate fuel (i make my own biodiesel) i have stumbled across an exciting discovery.

The actual name for the stuff in millers diesel adDitive is 2 ETHYL HEXYL NITRATE and i have a bottle of the stuff in front of me :thumbup:

Its sold with a name of Biotane for the imporvement of cetane levels in home made fuels but it smells identical to millers power sport 4 ;)

After testing in the volvo which runs on normal expensive pump fuel I can confirm that it does have identical improvements to the millers stuff but heres the best bit..... it costs £15 for 1l and the dilution ratio is 1ml of biotane to 1l of fuel :D

Just thought I would share this with you nice people :thumbup:

If anyone wants some I am sure I could get more of the stuff :thumbup:

I've got a bit of time on my hands,and have been considering making my own fuel... may I ask what setup you use to make your own biodeisel? I've been researching to see if I can set something up in my shed! :thumbup:

I've got a bit of time on my hands,and have been considering making my own fuel... may I ask what setup you use to make your own biodeisel? I've been researching to see if I can set something up in my shed! :thumbup:

Most of my equipement was purchased from either oilybits or the greenteam.

its really just a few 205l drums cobbled together.

The hardest part of homebrew is sourcing good quality oil. As poor oil can make life hard as you use more methanol and potassium hydroxide. Plus you spend hours filtering and end up with loads of nasty rubbish to take to the tip.

I will say something though, if you going to make it please do reseach drywashing. water washing of the fuel is time consuming and uses alot of water and creates alot of polutants . i actually drywash my fuel through a big column of oak sawdust which costs next to nothing. :thumbup:

Most of my equipement was purchased from either oilybits or the greenteam.

its really just a few 205l drums cobbled together.

The hardest part of homebrew is sourcing good quality oil. As poor oil can make life hard as you use more methanol and potassium hydroxide. Plus you spend hours filtering and end up with loads of nasty rubbish to take to the tip.

I will say something though, if you going to make it please do reseach drywashing. water washing of the fuel is time consuming and uses alot of water and creates alot of polutants . i actually drywash my fuel through a big column of oak sawdust which costs next to nothing. :thumbup:

have you put an "in-line" fuel filter in? or had to change your existing one more often? (the fuel filters for my car are quite expensive, but an inline one added as extra seems quite cheap....)

have you put an "in-line" fuel filter in? or had to change your existing one more often? (the fuel filters for my car are quite expensive, but an inline one added as extra seems quite cheap....)

my octavia runs two tanks and a coolant heat exchanger. tank one contains biodiesel and tank 2 contains mineral diesel. Starts up and shuts down on mineral and runs on bio the rest of the time. Means i can make fuel out of the cheaper palm oil and run it throughout the winter :thumbup:

I havent put an inline filter I just replace the filter wevr few thousand miles as they are only 6 quid ;)

I would seriously consider not putting biodiesel into a common rail engine. I have been running the volvo on a 30% blend but anymore and it doesnt like to start. that and the fact the returning fuel from the high pressure rail starts to oxidize and causes the fuel to go "off" It just doesnt save that much and the possibilty of a loss if failure occurs.....

Octavia has been running for over 20k now on 100% with no issues what so ever. It is the older low pressure VP37 bosch pump however.