1.8TSI bluefin remap

Folks,

I was recently involved in remapping a 1.8TSI manual using the Bluefin System

We didn't have access to a dyno & driving experience is more important than a graph, so we did some timing.

Pulls like an even bigger train & the weird light throttle lurch has gone from the transition from off-boost to boost at 1500rpm. IOW, driveability is even better than before.

80-120kph in 3rd takes 4.5 seconds (quicker than a Boxter S)

40-120kph in 3rd is improved by 2seconds /18%

40-140kph in 4th is improved by 1 second / 6%.

Fuel consumption under similar driving patterns/conditions is maybe 0.2L/100km worse

"the weird light throttle lurch has gone from the transition from off-boost to boost"

For me in simple english again plz.

I'll try.

idle (700rpm?) to approx(~) 1300rpm there is no boost.

1300rpm to 1700rpm it is starting to boost.

2000rpm and on the OEM map you've plateaued(sp?) at maximum torque (250Nm).

I drive in suburban traffic & use very light throttle openings when starting from the lights & at about 1800rpm the car would lurch like I'd lifted the throttle & pressed down again (like a learner driver ummmm.... we call it kangaroo hopping:confused: - I'm sure there's a really long German word for it like clutchenhoppinjumpingbuggerit:P). As it isn't normal to have a dead flat torque curve, I believe there is adjustments happening with the ECU that bleed boost or whatever to keep the curve flat.

When I mentioned it at the Service Centre they came back with no fault found because the mechanic just drove through the "lurch", which I could do myself. It was never a big deal, my wife never noticed it - she was too busy revving the crap out of the engine like it was a 30 year old dunger.:rofl:

Anyway, the lurch has dissapeared. The torque just builds, and builds, and builds:thumbup:.

edit: I don't get paid huge amounts & the Bluefin cost me 3 days pay. Best 3 days pay I ever spent on a car.

Ah thanks.

- I'm sure there's a really long German word for it like clutchenhoppinjumpingbuggerit:P).

I think most german people call it Bonanza-Effekt. ;)

Although, to be precisely, this actually means a very special effect of Mercedes Cars with Diesel motors in the 70s. This bonanza effect is known as jig saw effect in UK (source: wikipedia).

We both learnt a lot now.:D

You shouldn't have flatlined at 2000rpm :confused:

It should keep pulling to at least 3,500 shouldn't it, even without the new map?

look at all the VW dyno charts. They show a flat 250NM from 1500rpm to 4500rpm(?). Even the real-world dyno charts are hovering 250Nm - 270Nm. Power keeps climbing but torque is flat - nothing wrong with that but when torque keeps climbing to 350nm @ 3000rpm it's a different world again.

Don't get me wrong, I thought the power delivery on the 1.8TSI was sh!t-hot before. Now it is even better.

My daughter has to learn how to drive in a few years & I was thinking I'd have to put it back to stock while she learns but I'm thinking maybe not - cross that bridge when i come to it.

• Like 1