1.5 Tsi Power Cutting Out

Missph

Evening, just looking to see if anyone is experiencing the same issue as me with my Karoq 1.5 Tsi (73 plate)….

So the car has perhaps half a dozen times or more cut out completely when slowing down, no stall / kangaroo or otherwise, power simply gone, resulting in me having to restart the car when in a rolling motion. Very unnerving especially with traffic approaching. I’ve tried to recreate the event on quiet roads with no success so I’ve no idea what action causes this. I had thought it was something I was doing but it’s since happened to my husband, and he’s only perhaps driven the car twice. 

Before I head to Skoda and demand they look at the car, has anyone had the same? 

Thanks! 

Are you using the Stop/Start? Both my Karoq and Octavia tend to switch off the engine when almost stopped (1.5 tsi with DSG). Have you tried driving with Stop/Start disabled?

• Like 2

I assume its a DSG car. Sounds like stop/start in action. Its normal, you don't need to restart the engine manually. It will restart automatically when you touch the throttle or move the steering wheel.

• Like 1

I have had mine a month now from new (1.5TSI manual) and noticed something similiar maybe 2 or 3 times, just cut out at fairly low speed. Press the accelerator and nothing happens, have to restart by pressing the ignition button. Like you I have not been able to replicate the issue, seems to only happen at low speeds though, 10mph ish. Given the ignition doesn’t start when I press the accelerator I am not sure it is linked to the stop/start function.

1 hour ago, Choclab said:

Are you using the Stop/Start? Both my Karoq and Octavia tend to switch off the engine when almost stopped (1.5 tsi with DSG). Have you tried driving with Stop/Start disabled?

Yep I can’t say I’ve noticed it happening when start/stop is off but it could be a coincidence. Even if it was related, a press on the accelerator does nothing and I have to restart. 

1 hour ago, xman said:

I assume its a DSG car. Sounds like stop/start in action. Its normal, you don't need to restart the engine manually. It will restart automatically when you touch the throttle or move the steering wheel.

Nope as I mentioned above, I have to restart, power is completely gone 😐

56 minutes ago, chieflordy said:

I have had mine a month now from new (1.5TSI manual) and noticed something similiar maybe 2 or 3 times, just cut out at fairly low speed. Press the accelerator and nothing happens, have to restart by pressing the ignition button. Like you I have not been able to replicate the issue, seems to only happen at low speeds though, 10mph ish. Given the ignition doesn’t start when I press the accelerator I am not sure it is linked to the stop/start function.

Yep this sounds exactly the same as mine. I’m worried I’m actually going to have a pretty bad accident as it’s most often happening on a roundabout or when I’m turning at a junction. 

1 hour ago, chieflordy said:

I have had it turning at a junction and going slow over speed humps primarily. This is an interesting read, same engine and same issue. https://www.trocforums.co.uk/threads/engine-cuts-out-when-driving….3254/page-3?nested_view=1&sortby=oldest

Hmm interesting - thank you. I’ll try changing fuel and see if it has any effect. I doubt I’ll get very far with Skoda as it’s hard to replicate. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Missph said:

Hmm interesting - thank you. I’ll try changing fuel and see if it has any effect. I doubt I’ll get very far with Skoda as it’s hard to replicate. 

Exactly my thoughts re taking it in to a Skoda dealer.
Re fuel when I first read the thread I got the impression a few people had solved their problem by changing fuel, but I reread and it is one person banging on about fuel repeating his comments.

The person with the really long post about the impact of engine revs was quite interesting, very thorough monitoring his revs with a dashcam to replicate the issue, like a scientific experiment! I might try his recommendations, he seemed to make some sense. 

• Like 1

Interesting to read this, as our 2023 1.5 TSi manual has stalled numerous times since we picked it up.

No fault found at it's recent first service.

I'd initially thought it was just an easy car to stall, but have on several occasions found the engine 'dead' when trying to pull away. 

The automated re-start cycle seems to take an eternity when it's stalled in a precarious place!

Never had this issue with any number of manual petrol or diesel cars.

The issues noted in the link above certainly resonate with me so I'll try a few tanks of E5👍

This had become such an issue I was keen to move the car on (or swop to an Auto) but recent used car prices falls mean this will be a hugely costly option. 

Re fuel when I first read the thread I got the impression a few people had solved their problem by changing fuel, but I reread and it is one person banging on about fuel repeating his comments.

The person with the really long post about the impact of engine revs was quite interesting, very thorough monitoring his revs with a dashcam to replicate the issue, like a scientific experiment! I might try his recommendations, he seemed to make some sense. 

Indeed  - I was interested to read comments where they had achieved.higher feel economy with E5, which I've never managed to replicate over many miles logged (on Fuelly)

There is however a noticeable improvement in low end torque and as I'm a sucker for collecting points I do use the odd tank of Shell V-Power 😀

https://www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2022/pinkpanther/1200251

Hmm yeah I’ll give that thread a better read! 

46 minutes ago, pinkpanther said:

Interesting to read this, as our 2023 1.5 TSi manual has stalled numerous times since we picked it up.

No fault found at it's recent first service.

I'd initially thought it was just an easy car to stall, but have on several occasions found the engine 'dead' when trying to pull away. 

The automated re-start cycle seems to take an eternity when it's stalled in a precarious place!

Never had this issue with any number of manual petrol or diesel cars.

The issues noted in the link above certainly resonate with me so I'll try a few tanks of E5👍

This had become such an issue I was keen to move the car on (or swop to an Auto) but recent used car prices falls mean this will be a hugely costly option. 

That’s just it, it’s not a stall (although I agree it’s easy to stall - took me a while to get used to it). When this power cut happens my dash says “please restart manually” so I have to press the clutch and hit the button, takes a few seconds as I’m at sat there sweating! 

This thread is interesting in that it brings back memories of the many problems reported with the 1.5tsi in it's early days. Strange random elevated idle speeds (seen that myself), kangarooing, stalling, poor and/or delayed pickup when pulling away etc

I thought all this had been resolved by now especially as the latest 1.5tsi engines are apparently now a generation 2 iteration, VAG quietly fixing things again without admitting the earlier problems.

Which brings to mind recent discussions about why cambelt changes are so expensive on this particular engine. It turns out that because the 1.5tsi uses a Miller combustion cycle (as opposed to the conventional Otto cycle) it is very sensitive to valve timing. This is measured during the factory build and setup in the factory with laser etched codes on the cylinder head showing its calibration settings which must be used if any work on the cam drive is carried out.

A detailed explanation can be found in the following document, pages 38 onwards.

821223.pdf

Even with tight production tolerances, angle deviations can happen in the camshaft housing and crankshaft drive. However, when calculating cylinder fill rates,  
precise valve control timing is needed, especially with the 1.5L engine that uses the Miller combustion process. The time that the intake valves close has a very  
large influence on the cylinder filling. The piston speed is still very high with early closing, while it is relatively “slow” with closing of the intake valves near  
bottom dead center. The valve control times are precisely measured during production and stored in the ECM

I suspect some engines have not made the grade and/or not been set up correctly in the factory, or somehow the timings are out or have drifted off.

Vag will never admit it though

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, xman said:

This thread is interesting in that it brings back memories of the many problems reported with the 1.5tsi in it's early days. Strange random elevated idle speeds (seen that myself), kangarooing, stalling, poor and/or delayed pickup when pulling away etc

I thought all this had been resolved by now especially as the latest 1.5tsi engines are apparently now a generation 2 iteration, VAG quietly fixing things again without admitting the earlier problems.

Which brings to mind recent discussions about why cambelt changes are so expensive on this particular engine. It turns out that because the 1.5tsi uses a Miller combustion cycle (as opposed to the conventional Otto cycle) it is very sensitive to valve timing. This is measured during the factory build and setup in the factory with laser etched codes on the cylinder head showing its calibration settings which must be used if any work on the cam drive is carried out.

A detailed explanation can be found in the following document, pages 38 onwards.

821223.pdf 2.43 MB · 0 downloads

Even with tight production tolerances, angle deviations can happen in the camshaft housing and crankshaft drive. However, when calculating cylinder fill rates,  
precise valve control timing is needed, especially with the 1.5L engine that uses the Miller combustion process. The time that the intake valves close has a very  
large influence on the cylinder filling. The piston speed is still very high with early closing, while it is relatively “slow” with closing of the intake valves near  
bottom dead center. The valve control times are precisely measured during production and stored in the ECM

I suspect some engines have not made the grade and/or not been set up correctly in the factory, or somehow the timings are out or have drifted off.

Vag will never admit it though

Hmmm my car is only 4 months old so maybe I’ve been unlucky to get a dud! Maybe I will try Skoda after all.

On 17/02/2024 at 10:48, Missph said:

That’s just it, it’s not a stall (although I agree it’s easy to stall - took me a while to get used to it). When this power cut happens my dash says “please restart manually” so I have to press the clutch and hit the button, takes a few seconds as I’m at sat there sweating! 

Yes - I had the same message on the dashboard👍

My wife and I have pretty much lost faith in the car, as it's so difficult to drive smoothly,  especially in traffic. 

Edited by pinkpanther

I occasionally have an issue with my manual 1.5 TSi. I'm quite old school when I drive. I was brought up with only using first gear to start moving before changing to second at low speed. The result of this is that I tend to drive up to junctions in second gear, and pull away in second from about 2-3mph. This engine doesn't like this and frequently stalls, and is a devil to restart (although it seems to start itself rather than needing the button pressed). As far as I am concerned this is driver error, and I just need to remember to move off from very low speed in first gear. I have had several other cars with stop/start and it has never been an issue before.

Just now, pinkpanther said:

Yes - had the same message on the dashboard👍

My wife and I have pretty much list faith in the car, as its do difficult to drive smoothly,  especially in traffic. 

Yep I now feel anxious driving this car - not good

• Like 1

For comparison I drove a mates 1 4 2017 TSi Oxtavia and found it a much more pleasant thing to drive.

As much as I'm not keen on DSG I very much regret my decision to go with a manual.  

Edited by pinkpanther

4 minutes ago, Routemaster1461 said:

I occasionally have an issue with my manual 1.5 TSi. I'm quite old school when I drive. I was brought up with only using first gear to start moving before changing to second at low speed. The result of this is that I tend to drive up to junctions in second gear, and pull away in second from about 2-3mph. This engine doesn't like this and frequently stalls, and is a devil to restart (although it seems to start itself rather than needing the button pressed). As far as I am concerned this is driver error, and I just need to remember to move off from very low speed in first gear. I have had several other cars with stop/start and it has never been an issue before.

In my view first and second are too low geared.

Sadly this car won't live long in my memory,  unlike several previous Yeti's, and the Suzuki which preceded it

1 minute ago, pinkpanther said:

In my view first and second are too low geared.

Sadly this car won't live long in my memory,  unlike several previous Yeti's, and the Suzuki which preceded it

Although they seem low, the issue for me is the lack of loow speed torque. There is one hill that I have to acsend slowly, and trying to go up in second is a waste of time as the car slows almost to a stall, and I have to use first. Even worse if it is hot and the aircin is on.

• Like 1

On 17/02/2024 at 09:59, pinkpanther said:

Indeed  - I was interested to read comments where they had achieved.higher feel economy with E5, which I've never managed to replicate over many miles logged (on Fuelly)

There is however a noticeable improvement in low end torque and as I'm a sucker for collecting points I do use the odd tank of Shell V-Power 😀

https://www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/karoq/2022/pinkpanther/1200251

Figured I'd revisit E5 and have filled up with Tesco Momentum 99 and will report back:thumbup:

• Like 1

Yes I am having the same issues. I have had a VW golf for the last 10 years with the start/stop facility and absolutely NO problems like this..... I am aware that the car should not be cutting out when in gear, when travelling or even when stopped at a junction when in gear. It is frightening when the car just loses power and cuts out. My new Skoda Karoq has done this from the first few days of me having it - less than a month and i feel i have been put in a dangerous position several times. The Karoq just switches off at junctions or when slowing down, no warning, radio continues to play but ignition is off and it asks you to restart it manually. I am trying to return the car as they seem incapable of identifying the problem.

3 hours ago, Ali-bongo said:

Yes I am having the same issues. I have had a VW golf for the last 10 years with the start/stop facility and absolutely NO problems like this..... I am aware that the car should not be cutting out when in gear, when travelling or even when stopped at a junction when in gear. It is frightening when the car just loses power and cuts out. My new Skoda Karoq has done this from the first few days of me having it - less than a month and i feel i have been put in a dangerous position several times. The Karoq just switches off at junctions or when slowing down, no warning, radio continues to play but ignition is off and it asks you to restart it manually. I am trying to return the car as they seem incapable of identifying the problem.

I assume you must have a manual 1.5TSI like the rest of us? Keep us updated with how you get on please, I have had mine exactly a month from new as well now with exactly the same issue….