Hybrid Turbo on 2.0 TDI PD 140

D@z

Hey all, Im going to be fitting a Hybrid Turbo to my Octavia shortly, most likely by CR Turbos, I havent contacted anywhere yet.

just wondering has anyone else here done this on an Octy?

I know Devonmikeyboy has a lot of work on his A3, but rather than hound him for advice thought Id make a thread for it instead!

My main question, would it be worth my while fitting a new exhaust and Milltek downpipe while Im at it? or will it perform fine without a new system?

I dont really want the car to make that loud "wooshey pidgeon©" sound but Im thinking I could just change the backbox for some nicer pipes. Therefore having the performance and nicer look without sounding silly! However the Downpipe might be needed, to keep temps down from the Turbo?

anyone in a position to advise?

I would say if you're going to the effort of fitting a hybrid (often one of the last things to change when modifying for more power) to not at least fit a bigger downpipe & decat would be sacrilage. Likewise a hybrid will push more air/generate more heat so you really should be thinking about FMIC too. I see "clutch" is in your plans. Hybrid turbo power is massive compared to stock - i.e 240 odd bhp on the 2.0 16v, compared to your current 190bhp, and probably close to 400 lb/ft.

Rushhour good to see another NI member, where did you manage to find a scrapped VRS! I havent called around yet, but think I will call Cr and Turbo technics, I will pm you when I get some figures!

Devonutopia thanks for your input! I guess I will be needing a DP then!, think while Im at it I will just go for a exhaust system too, as I would be changing the backbox anyway, will just get it well resonated so its not too noisy! its just hard to find someone over here who is good at it, the DP will be easy as Milltek make one I believe (im guessing one from a Leon/Golf/A3 would fit anyway?)

Im going to get the Turbo + DP first, I have actually got a BKD turbo here, ready to send off to get the Hybrid treatment. I would rather spend the money on something I can notice :rofl: and I will drive it forgivingly until I have enough for clutch!

also, any idea, if I could fit the Turbo and DP with the map I have now, then install clutch and finally a remap later?

as for a FMIC would that really be necesssary? this is my daily driver, and although Im upgrading, I dont rag it around everywhere, I was under the impression the standard one was very good, and capable of coping with that much power as long as you werent burning around a race track giving it a hard time?

Edited by daz_pd

yeah, I was in the same frame of mind, however Ive had the car two years now and Im starting to get bored with the power, its cheaper for me to tweak it to 220+ hp than to change to a car with 200+HP, the Octy also does everything else I currently need.

Personally, yeah, although I wouldnt have paid full price for it(that applies to all the induction kits!), keep your eye on Ebay, and you will be able to get one from another 2.0TDI, mine came from a golf and had only been on it for a month!

I was paranoid about my MAF, but touch wood, its been fine so far, it definately helped the car breathe, it labours less down low, and feels like it has gained power throughout the range, the only thing you will either like or dislike the sound, it makes a whistly sucking sound as it comes on boost.

I got all of the VRS parts for my car over a period of a few months from Ebay and Skoda. Nothing came from the same car.

I've just bought a brand new turbo and manifold for my car off ebay as well. I also bought a brand new cylinder head as well from ebay so now just need to get the whole lot fitted and solve all my engine problems!

I think the hybrid turbo idea will have to wait lol

What price we looking at for a Hybrid turbo for the 2.0 tdi pd 140 engine as im very intrigued? Also, will the injectors need upgrading and an intercooler added? Are the power gains safe for the parameters of the engine and drivetrain?

The car already has an FMIC.

The injectors are fine

You would need a remap to use it to it's best and speak to a good tuner to find out what is safe as a couple of people have pushed it very far so it's all down to your budget.