Brake skimming

nibbles

Can anybody help me. I recently purcharsed a vrs on a 02 plate.unfortunately the brakes when braking have brake shudder.Is there anywhere in nottingham or area that do brake skimming as they seem fairly new.Oh by the wat they are drilled and vented aswell.

Nibble if they are drilled and vented I doubt you would have enough meat on them to skim! Any descent engineering shop with a good Lathe could do it.

I can nearly Guarentee that the disc in not buckled but it has a hard build up from brake dust. It happens when discs cool to quickly. So I reckon your better off with new discs.

Have you tried clearing out the holes in the discs?

I think that with drilled discs this is recommended practice any way as they get blocked up with brake dust. Need an appropriately sized drill and plenty of patience. Worth a try I suppose before you start taking the discs off for skimming or replacing them.

Have you tried clearing out the holes in the discs?

I think that with drilled discs this is recommended practice any way as they get blocked up with brake dust. Need an appropriately sized drill and plenty of patience. Worth a try I suppose before you start taking the discs off for skimming or replacing them.

Thanks mate never thought of doing that ,its got to be worth a try at no cost to me except a bit of time

I wouldn't bother with skimming- by the time you've paid someone to do it you may as well get new discs, unless you have a lathe and the skill yourself.

i agree, if they were discs that are nearly impossible to get new then it *may* be worth it, but the age old rule of thumb reminds you that it's only that thin metal discs that stops you from hitting the car in front... buy new ones

Brembo OEM discs from GSF are about £45 each + vat so aren't too pricey. Good quality discs too that don't seem too prone to glazing or warping. Most bad braking though seems to be caused by drivers coming up to a junction at speed, braking heavily, and then keeping their foot on the brake once stopped. This means you get hot spots on the disc which are harder than the surrounding material and thus the judder, initially as that portion of the disc has become glazed and so for a few inches of each rotation gives less braking force. Pulsing through the pedal then starts to occur as that part of the disc doesn't wear evenly in line with the surrounding material. I don't know if you've ever done brakes before but they're really a piece of ****. Some proper Ferodo OEM pads are good quality, work well, and should be £35-50ish.

Might be worth checking out this site.

How to Correct vibration with Pro Cut Lathe | EBC Brakes

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/automotive/pro_cut_lathe.shtml

These folks use a EBC brake skimming lathe that can do the job with the disc's still on the car. If you have good quality performance disc's that have plenty of life in them and just need a surface skim you may find this cheaper. Even OEM discs sometimes have a run out on them.

Anyway worth a look at.

Edited by Bowders1