Cam Belt Questions (1.4 16V)

I have tried a search, but got an error after the 1st page of results, plus they all seemed to be for vRS's anyway.

My question is what should be in the cambelt kit for the 1.4 16v engine (AUB unit) and roughly how much should it cost? Been looking on eBay, but I just found kits with the belt and nothing else to kits with varoius other bits, and varying prices. I don't want to buy a cheap kit to find it's wrong, and knacker the engine, and on the other hand, I don't want to pay over the odds for bits I don't need.

Secondly. how hard is it do? Is it something that can be done at home, or does it need speacil equipment to do? And last question, does it need a water pump or anything, like the vRS does?

Sorry for all the questions, but thanks for any answers,

Joe. :)

Not entirely certain what else would be in the kit, but don't forget that there are two belts on the AUB engine, the main one and a short one which drives the second camshaft. I would have thought that there should be some tensioners or pulleys too. Have word with your local TPS for the price on a proper kit as they frequently have special offers on them. I think that I got the kit for SWMBO's 1.4 TDI for about half the normal price when I bought it.

• Like 1

hows this then at Euro Carparts:

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Skoda_Fabia_1.4_2001/p/Car-Parts/Engine-Parts/Belts-Chains-and-Tensioners/Timing-Belt-Kits/?348770685&1&8709584e22ee4b0fa39c0ee42bedef03877656ff&TBLK

:thumbup:

Assuming that the AUB engine is only internally different to the later BBZ lump then its exhaust cam driven by the inlet cam with a short belt with its own tensioner, conventional long belt to inlet, with an idler roller and tensioner, waterpump drive by timing belt. its good practice to change the pump with a new belt too ( impeller is plastic it can break up apparently)

PS invest in ye olde fashioned 'aynes manual,.

PPS everybody generally, how difficult is the accessory drive pulley to remove, 'aynes warns the nut is 'tight' :no: is the pulley on a taper with a keyway or what?. I'm planning to do mine in January after crimbo, do i need to invest in a puller?.

Edited by Todd Unctious
  • Like 1

hmm what happened there.

Thats a full kit including tensioners & rollers,

My bbz is £78 belts kit & £33 for a waterpump. as you said cheaper than a rebuild.

True, just never had to replace one before. I always assumed the costs involved came from the garage labour fees, and that the parts were quite inexpensive.

You need to change all tensioners for both belts on this engine, you ll also struggle a bit without the correct locking tools as the cams will be on the rock at tdc, the water pump on this model however is not prone to failure and except for the very early ones has a metal impeller from the factory : )

• Like 1

From my experiences with this engine, I'd simultaneously replace all the timing belts, tensioners/pulleys, the auxiliary belt and the water pump. Not worth scrimping as it is no more effort to do the lot once you've got it apart.

• Like 1