Braking light driving me crazy

MartinDK

Hi,

Since the braking light was on constantly while driving I have now replaced the brake light switch to the green version ... but it has not helped. Brake light is still on! What can be the problem here?

2002 Octavia RS.

- Martin

Edited by MartinDK

Have you fitted the switch correctly? It is possible to get the plunger jammed down.

Try:

- disconnecting the switch from the pedal (checks for plunger issues)

- unplugging the switch from the loom (checks for a faulty switch/ short elsewhere in the loom)

Do you have access to vagcom? iirc, it can report on if switch thinks it is being pressed.

Have you fitted the switch correctly? It is possible to get the plunger jammed down.

Try:

- disconnecting the switch from the pedal (checks for plunger issues)

- unplugging the switch from the loom (checks for a faulty switch/ short elsewhere in the loom)

Do you have access to vagcom? iirc, it can report on if switch thinks it is being pressed.

I think I have fittet it correct.

The switch came in unlocked state, pressed the pedal down, inserted the switch, let the pedal com up again and locked it.

ok,

I dont know if you are aware but if your switch has more than two wires on the actual brake light switch connector, than you have to fit them in the way so it locks appropreatelly.

Are your brake lights constantly on while you have any other light on??

ok,

I dont know if you are aware but if your switch has more than two wires on the actual brake light switch connector, than you have to fit them in the way so it locks appropreatelly.

Are your brake lights constantly on while you have any other light on??

It turned out to be the tow bar electrics that messed up. Once the towbar electrics is disconnected everything works fine.

Will fix it when the weather is warmer :-) At least I have a new green brake light switch now!