[How to] Removing front bumper & headlights Superb 02-07

Cown

Dear Community,

I've found the job of removing the front bumper of my Superb extremely useful over the past year or two. It gives great access to replacing or installing new bulbs. I've also used it to install Xenon as this is legal in Denmark where i live, considering it has the washer.

It's actually VERY easy when you've tried it once. Today I am able to do the job in just under 10 mins. Therefore I would hereby like to share this information with you and everyone else, who might look by this great forum.

Screws: Torx

Clamping pins: Straight wide screwdriver

First, here's the summary of front bumper components:

overview_front_b.jpg

Don't be alarmed by all the lines and screws, you only need to concentrate on the screws: 2, 3 & 8

Remove screws -2- (6.5 Nm):

front%20%28Small%29.jpg

Remove screws -3- (1.5 Nm):

hjul%20%28Small%29.jpg

Remove Clamping pins -8- (Under the car):

under%20%28Small%29.jpg

Now you are able to pull out the front bumper -1-. If it's stuck, just add a little force to it.

Removing the headlight:

The removal and installation will be demonstrated using the example of the right-hand headlight. The procedure for removal and installing is identical for the right headlight.

– Remove the headlight support (under the headlight).

– Release screws -arrows- (2,4 Nm).

lygte2.jpg

lygte%20%28Small%29.jpg

– Disconnect the plug connector for the headlight, pull the headlight forwards carefully and then remove in an upwards direction.

lygte3.jpg

– Disconnect the hose on the cylinder of the headlight cleaning system, if it is being used.

Please note, that underneath the lamp there's a holder, which needs to be removed before you can remove it. It's very easy to figure out though.

I hope you find this useful. :-)

• 7 months later...

Dear Community,

I've found the job of removing the front bumper of my Superb extremely useful over the past year or two. It gives great access to replacing or installing new bulbs. I've also used it to install Xenon as this is legal in Denmark where i live, considering it has the washer.

It's actually VERY easy when you've tried it once. Today I am able to do the job in just under 10 mins. Therefore I would hereby like to share this information with you and everyone else, who might look by this great forum.

Screws: Torx

Clamping pins: Straight wide screwdriver

First, here's the summary of front bumper components:

overview_front_b.jpg

Don't be alarmed by all the lines and screws, you only need to concentrate on the screws: 2, 3 & 8

hi i was wondering if you went further as in the timing belt change could you help please,thank you

Remove screws -2- (6.5 Nm):

front%20%28Small%29.jpg

Remove screws -3- (1.5 Nm):

hjul%20%28Small%29.jpg

Remove Clamping pins -8- (Under the car):

under%20%28Small%29.jpg

Now you are able to pull out the front bumper -1-. If it's stuck, just add a little force to it.

Removing the headlight:

The removal and installation will be demonstrated using the example of the right-hand headlight. The procedure for removal and installing is identical for the right headlight.

– Remove the headlight support (under the headlight).

– Release screws -arrows- (2,4 Nm).

lygte2.jpg

lygte%20%28Small%29.jpg

– Disconnect the plug connector for the headlight, pull the headlight forwards carefully and then remove in an upwards direction.

lygte3.jpg

– Disconnect the hose on the cylinder of the headlight cleaning system, if it is being used.

Please note, that underneath the lamp there's a holder, which needs to be removed before you can remove it. It's very easy to figure out though.

I hope you find this useful. :-)

• 1 year later...

Torx screws are T25 and T30

After you take the bumper off, there is also a T30 under each headlight as seen from the front - I'm not sure you need to remove it, as the lamp unit slides off the bracket; but I did - it makes it easier if you do.

Good post Cown! Saved me lots of head-scratching.

• 1 month later...

My 06 Superb Tdi Elegance has a random fault on the near side dipped headlight. A new ballast fitted costing over £100 did not solve the fault. So far I have been unable to find a common cause for the headlight failing. Some days I have 100% lighting other days, usually afternoons, the light fails when switched on. So far I have managed using the twin fog lights to get home. Next morning the nearside light may come on but not every day for the past 10 days.

Any advice really welcome

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

My 06 Superb Tdi Elegance has a random fault on the near side dipped headlight. A new ballast fitted costing over £100 did not solve the fault. So far I have been unable to find a common cause for the headlight failing. Some days I have 100% lighting other days, usually afternoons, the light fails when switched on. So far I have managed using the twin fog lights to get home. Next morning the nearside light may come on but not every day for the past 10 days.

Any advice really welcome

Phil

I have the same problem on my 03 plate model. I have heard that it is recommended to change the bulbs after 2500 hrs. It usually works after switching on and off a few times. I am looking at fitting some aftermarket bulbs (from Ebay) as OEM ones will be extortionately expensive...

• 6 months later...

Thank you for the advice, I am buying a Superb in September and will have to change the headlights from UK to Continental headlights. Can you advise me what screws which need to be removed? Will I need a 'normal' screwdriver - flathead and/or cross-head screwdriver or will i need to buy something else in preparation of doing it myself?

Thank you,

Richard