Current driving conditions

foo

Have you ever seen 2" thick of snow that has been sat on a car for a couple of days come off? It isn't soft like snow, it's hard like ice.

There is a reason you legally have to remove it from your car in many countries.

It's very dangerous and could injure a cyclist or pedestrian or damage a car etc without too much effort.

As for a reaction, yes but if you read my post above, I realised he was pulling my chain later rather than sooner.

I agree it can be dangerous to allow ice or snow to fall off and hit other road users.

Thirty years ago I had cleared all the windows on my chevette hatchback and brushed 4 inches of snow off roof and bonnet but thought it would be ok to leave the thin layer of ice still stuck on the rear half of the roof. In these days rear screen heaters stayed on until switched off manually so , twenty miles down the road , a loud bang alerted me to the fact that the ice had slid back down onto the rear screen and the resulting rapid change in temperature had shattered the glass. I now make sure the roof is clear of ice before setting off !!

I can't imagine how any amount of snow or ice sliding off the back of a car is going to do any damage, let alone put anyone in danger.

People bitch and moan about the roads not being cleared or gritted - they then go out in their badly-cleared cars and dump more snow on the road! Even if snow/ice doesn't hit a car directly, by creating slippery areas on potentially otherwise clear roads it is going to create a hazard.

Tom's post may have been in jest, but there are plenty of people out there who do actually seem to view this as a legitimate way of clearing their cars.

Rob.

Really annoys me too. It's the same whe n it's frosty too. Nearly had a guy pull out on me today because he had only bothered to scrap a patch the size of your fist on the drivers window....

I always make the time, if need be not have breakfast, to clean all the windows and lights and clean off the most of any snow on roof and bonnet.

Me too, I always clear all the windows and scrape off the snow from roof and bonnet.

It is law here, to have the car freed from snow and ice and have clear windows.

Do it a couple of times and, besides it will cost you a lot, you will loose your licence for a (couple of) months.

Try driving fast on an autobahn (if conditions are safe) and than see ice come flying towards you. emoticon-0149-no.gif (especially big trucks loose lots of ice if their roofs arent cleared...emoticon-0112-wondering.gif )