Loose radiator

Was giving my car a good clean an noticed the radiator was loose at the bottom, I could move it a good 20-30mm and it would make quite a knocking noise. I couldn't see an obvious way to secure it fully so I just wedged it with some cardboard, I might just chock it with some wood.

Can someone enlighten me to why the rads come loose and a good solution over than wedging it?

Cheers

Mike

Guest westallc

there are gromets on the bottom and at a guess they have worn out im sure ive read somewhere that this is a known problem on these cars

I used zip ties to hold the radiator still on mine, seems to work as there is no knocking now. I secured them onto the front crash bar as there is a suitible hole down on the bottom right hand side. Couldn't do the same on the left hand side but just the one on the right works.

I couldn't see anywhere to cable tie it on to. I haven't driven it since I wedged it but I am now hoping this was creating the knocking that I thought was an ARB bush so hopefully will be knock free.

Changed all four of my rad mounts a while back as I found the lower ones to be a bit sloppy too.

I wouldn't say it's a hard job, just fiddly and annoying! You don't remove the radiator, just the front bumper and headlights to get access to the mounts.

It's a bit of a poor design really, as the mounts will always wear down. Next time I do it I might make my own lower mounts out of some rubber blocks. It just needs the holes to be snug on the pegs off the radiator, to stop it all vibrating and wearing away.

Not a real problem and mine used to squeak when closing the drivers door.

Had mine changed under warranty, but most MKI vRS's will be past that now....

Had mine replaced under warranty. Up until that point, I'd done the similar thing to everyone else and wedged foam down the sides of the rad. Crap design from what I've heard. They'll always wear out over time.