Warning light and 'limp home mode!' Help pls?

Hi All,

I've been away from the site for some considerable time now. Unfortunately I have needed to return to ask for advice on the Octy :(

Octy VRS 08. It has been driving ok til recently. The dash light of an engine (the exhaust system light?) came on and the car has gone into limp home mode (aka restricted/ no turbo)

I have never had a turbo before so I don't know whether limp home mode restricts this or not...

The light is on solid and I don't know where to start checking without a vag-com. Any short suggestions I can try? I know it could possibly be a million things but I hope someone can perhaps suggest something commonly problematic that can be checked easily. I know it may be a lamba sensor and that was expensive on a previous car.

The worst bit is that I have now noticed it needs a service. Strangely enough I enquired last week and they got me to read the code in the front of the service book and said 20k or March at the lastest, but reading up on it I have found I am on the variable. I don't know how long the spanner has been up, its not very obvious when I sit in the car it is obscured by the steering wheel. Now I am worried Skoda won't touch it as the service is required. The spanner may just have popped up but could have been there a while. Is there a way to know? (The warning light that is now on is a little more obvious!)

With all the problems I had with the Ibiza Cupra and Seat customer service I am getting really worried now... I am frightened of taking it in to the dealer as they tend to twist things and you end up paying (not all main dealers mind u if ur a decent main dealer and thinking cheeky cow's sl@gging us all off I do apologise)

Any advice welcome!

Thanx,

Karen

PS. Anyone know how far I'd get with the Haynes Octy manual that doesn't go as far as my model. Someone suggests getting the Mk5 golf? How useful are they for this type of thing, also would you recommend doing your own service. I did one years ago and remember the oil change was a faff and the oil filter even more so.

Edited by vRS_Bint