Coolant Temp Sensor

Hi all

It seems to be a common fault the vag error 17664 which as far as I understand is pointing at the Coolant Temp Sensor. Could someone possibly tell where abouts this sensor is located on my car (TDI 130 PD 2005).

Also just today when my car was idling the aircon fan came on at a high rate of rpms for about 5 seconds then off for about 30 seconds and kept repeating this. My temp control was on econ but when I switched to auto it stopped?

After checking it with a vag it gave an error of 18043, would this be another problem caused by the Temp Sensor?.

Thank you for your time

Laurence

I have just this morning replaced the coolant sensor on my bosses 04 passat tdi,i got one from andrew pages using our trade account,it cost £7 inc vat. to fit it i removed the engine top plastic cover,the sensor is buried on the turbo side of the engine in the rear corner(near the egr valve) above the starter motor,it is a bit fiddly to fit(poor access!) i did it with the engine cold as you will lose a bit of coolant removing & refitting the sensor.there is a post on here with pictures.hope this is of use to you. :)

Hi all

It seems to be a common fault the vag error 17664 which as far as I understand is pointing at the Coolant Temp Sensor. Could someone possibly tell where abouts this sensor is located on my car (TDI 130 PD 2005).

Also just today when my car was idling the aircon fan came on at a high rate of rpms for about 5 seconds then off for about 30 seconds and kept repeating this. My temp control was on econ but when I switched to auto it stopped?

After checking it with a vag it gave an error of 18043, would this be another problem caused by the Temp Sensor?.

Thank you for your time

Laurence

I have no idea if the rpm revs were caused by the the Collant temp sensor. Usually the sensor is faulty when the engine management light comes on intermittently.

The Sensor can be seen you take the air box off on the left side of the engine compartment. The sensor is by the manifold at the back of the engine. Bascially if you lean across the left side of compartment and turn your head to the right looking at the back of the engine. It has a black lead/wire coming out of it.

Also DO NOT ATTEMPT to do this while the engine is hot and have some spare coolant. Should take approx 5 mins.

Regards

Thanks for the replies I will take a look at this tomorrow and hopefully cure this problem :)

Thanks again

laurence

Just as well I saw this, and you should get a lotto ticket asap

Ok, easiest way to do it

It's located on the rear of the engine behind and lower the egr valve, so look down there and you should see a green sensor

Getting him out, the way I did it was to remove the airfilter box and engine cover, this gives you room to see and twiddle

Push the horseshoe clip off and pull the sensor out, disconnect the wire loom from it and reverse of this to refit

Top up with pre mixed antifreeze and put the cover and airbox back, if afterwards you have no power, you will have left one of the hoses to the airbox off somewhere, hth.

Hi, how the.... do you unplug the dam thing, the connector just wont budge. Want to disconnect to try see if it cold starts better as its a bit hard and smokey spluttery when cold. ok rest of time when hot. It was hard to get the connector off the sensor on pipe just from the air box. had to get screw driver to prise it off.

Did fit new glow plugs, but made no dif.

Hi, how the.... do you unplug the dam thing, the connector just wont budge. Want to disconnect to try see if it cold starts better as its a bit hard and smokey spluttery when cold. ok rest of time when hot. It was hard to get the connector off the sensor on pipe just from the air box. had to get screw driver to prise it off.

Did fit new glow plugs, but made no dif.

It's a mare if you haven't taken one off before, try a practice on a more accessable one 1st, you use a small flatblade screwdriver and press the lug down iirc, it may have to be lifted at the thin end or the part that retains it in the holder, I haven't had one off for a while so I forget how 2 exactly, just be gentle with it, it's not tight by nature it's just abstract how it works.

Just replace it anyway, it will fail eventually it's a common fault, you should have the EML light on the dash if it is faulty, a new one is £15 from GSF, make sure it's the green one with an arched end on it, they sometimes give you a blue one, that's the fuel sensor btw and no good to you right now.

I managed to get the plug off just. wow was it a bugger. I started car and no smoke and easy fired up, but i will leave it now till 4pm when it will usually smoke. Hope to remember to plug it back in when i drive haha.

I managed to get the plug off just. wow was it a bugger. I started car and no smoke and easy fired up, but i will leave it now till 4pm when it will usually smoke. Hope to remember to plug it back in when i drive haha.

It is, doesn't help where it's located tbh, I took the sensor off 1st and then unplugged it.