Radio keeps playing when the key is taken out of the ignition

Zby

Well, this was the most descriptive topic I could do :-)

I've tried searching, but got a lot of other faults up.

This is a 1,4 MPI comfort from 2001, with central locking, but without remote control.

Basically this has happened within the last few days - I've probably pressed some random button or done something unintentionally.

When taking the key out of the ignition, the radio keeps running. I can lock and leave the car, and there's still power to the radio.

I also miss the second "click" when locking the car with the key, usually there was 2 clicks, the first when the lock pins go down and a second afterwards, and also the red blinking "look this car has an alarm" light in one of the lock pins seems missing.

Electrical problem or did I just press something wrong in the car?

On another note - I guess this is unrelated - I have twice gotten a "periodic electrical error" in the car. Both times just after starting the car, after doing 2-3h of motorway and then stopping at a rest stop. I went to a garage far from home on the first time - they said it was harmless, and I could wait with it until I got home. Both times it disappeared after some time. This just to say that I do have some random electrical problem - which could be a cause to the above, even though I don't think so.

Cheap easy thing to do is to disconnect the battery for 20minutes or so as this resets the eletrical systems. It might make a difference, but seeings it's free. . .

Also, is it an aftermarket radio, or the stock cassette deck (MS402)? If it's the tape deck then I think that has an option to stay on regardless of the key, can look in my manual for it if you want? RE the light, no idea except the battery idea for now, sorry.

I have this very occasionally. And the radio is only 3 years old (Symphony CD player), sometimes I can press the power button in to turn it off and the display will remain on too.

I put it down to just gremlins in the firmware of the unit since there is always a live feed to the unit regardless of a key in the ignition?

Sorry not of any real help, just thought I'd say!

There is built into the ignition switch, a contact called the S contact. If this isn't working the car will not switch off the radio and it will not turn the interior light on when the key is removed, also it may not deadlock as it thinks that the key is in the ignition. You could try gently lubricating the lock barrel with some graphite powder and working it in with the key.

Thanks guys for the replies. Well, the problem went away by itself the next day.

I will save this for when the problem arises again. Guess it could easily be part of my "periodic electrical error" warning.