WTF Happened ?

Hello fellow Briskodians !

On my way to work this morning travelling at about 40mph in 4th when the engine lost power a gave the sensation of a "block gear" change throwing me forward slightly...I dropped down to 3rd and the car pulled away again. About half an hour later when almost at work the car gave up the ghost, "smoothly" cutting-out with no lumpyness or "kangarooing" , just rolled up. Only the the battery warning light was on but when trying to fire it back up the car cranks but no start-up but plenty battery power there. It's almost if theres no Diesel in it but I have a full tank of BP as always (never any super market crap) although I did add a dose of Forte on this weeks fill-up. Eventually just had to have the car Relayed home and there it stood untill a friend put his diagnostics scanner on which brought up no codes ? Still everything seems to "turn over" quite strongly but no start-up ? If anyone could chip in with any experiences it would be greatly appreciated as always.. (some cause of "Fuel starvation" has been suggested due to fuel pump or something around those lines)..any ideas Chaps ?

Edited by diuce01670

I DONT KNOW THE WORKINGS OF VAG ENGINES BUT IF IT WERE MY OLD VOLVO I WOULD START WITH THE FUEL PUMP

This has been sugested by a pal of mine and guy who done the scan for me...cheers for your input "GED-VRS" M8, much appreciated !!

Edited by diuce01670

My audi had a cut out whilst going along. RAC said there was no signal between his computer and ECU. ABS ECU reported the same thing.

Turned out to be the wiring in between the ECU and the car. Possibly water ingretion.

I had starting issues as well though, go out to car, not all the lights would come on and it would fail to start. It would turn over though.

Well since there have been 221 views of this post and only 2 replies (cheers GED-VRS & prolfe"") I thought i'd bring this subject to a close. As GED-VRS on ere and some friends of mine surgested it was a fuel pump problem (or rather a blown fuel pump fuse problem) causing all the panic...still a bit puzzled why the diagnostics tool couldn't give me any sort of hint or a nudge in that direction but we got there eventually. During fault finding process we thought we would take a look at the Fuel filter and OMFG...."mingin" to say the least...slime all over it and the Diesel which filled the canister was black when we poured it out, so all-in all it was a good job we cracked it open for a look...not that i know too much but that sort of dirty fuel going to the injectors can not be good at all. New Fuse and nice new fuel filter she's back to her best !!!! ..(30p fuse £21 filter and few cans for my M8) jobs a guddin !

Edited by diuce01670

.......... the Diesel which filled the canister was black when we poured it out, so all-in all it was a good job we cracked it open for a look...

Shhh, Babs might be watching !!

:)

glad it's all okay.

Well since there have been 221 views of this post and only 2 replies (cheers GED-VRS & prolfe"") I thought i'd bring this subject to a close. As GED-VRS on ere and some friends of mine surgested it was a fuel pump problem (or rather a blown fuel pump fuse problem) causing all the panic...still a bit puzzled why the diagnostics tool couldn't give me any sort of hint or a nudge in that direction but we got there eventually. During fault finding process we thought we would take a look at the Fuel filter and OMFG...."mingin" to say the least...slime all over it and the Diesel which filled the canister was black when we poured it out, so all-in all it was a good job we cracked it open for a look...not that i know too much but that sort of dirty fuel going to the injectors can not be good at all. New Fuse and nice new fuel filter she's back to her best !!!! ..(30p fuse £21 filter and few cans for my M8) jobs a guddin !

You must have a really clever friend who knows his stuff

This might happen again in the future as i suspect your injector seals are leaking, What happens is the seals let carbon past from your cylinders and it mixes with fuel thus giving a dark grey graphite coloured fuel. This ive seen a few times and we fit new seals to stop the fault.

Edited by sherlocks VRS

This might happen again in the future as i suspect your injector seals are leaking, What happens is the seals let carbon past from your cylinders ad it mixes with fuel thus giving a dark grey graphite coloured fuel. This ive seen a few times and we fit new seals to stop the fault.

if the seals are going wouldnt it cause rough uneven idle ,i know its a thing to look out for when buying a high miler diesel

if the seals are going wouldnt it cause rough uneven idle ,i know its a thing to look out for when buying a high miler diesel

Not always , you get a small amount of blow by past the injector seals not enough to give a missfire or rough idle but enough to introduce carbon into your fuel, hence giving a dirty looking fuel which eventualy will clog fuel filters.

Not always , you get a small amount of blow by past the injector seals not enough to give a missfire or rough idle but enough to introduce carbon into your fuel, hence giving a dirty looking fuel which eventualy will clog fuel filters.

:thumbup:

I have a full tank of BP as always (never any super market crap)

Maybe paying over +10p a litre more for branded fuel hasn't quite had the desired effect after all?

I have always wondered if there is in fact any difference between supermarket fuel and so called premium fuel - BP / Shell etc.

(This excludes the higer octane Ultimate, Optimax etc).

I have read with interest many discussions and debates on this very subject , some are adament there is, others are equally convinced its exactly the same.

I'd love to know the real truth!