Broken Tensioner?

Just had a whine start coming from the area around the aux drive belt. Thought it was the tensioner. But no, I popped the cam belt upper timing cover, and found the main timing belt very slack.

The car is a Fabia I 1.4 16V AUB on a 2001 plate, only 36K miles.

However I don't think the cam belts have ever been changed. An example is I've have all the tyres replaced due to being perished not worn.

I'm now waiting for a quote from a local garage. I think I've been very lucky not to have damaged the engine as I drove the car for two days like this!

Nigel.

It is a reasonably common problem on this engine, fortunately the belts seem to stay on but I think you caught it just in time, especially with the whine.

Here's some photos of the broken tensioner and split idler that I found in mine, there were no funny noises and I only found it at the time of doing the routine replacement.

001_fabia_cambelt_replacement.jpg

002_cambelt_layout.JPG

003_cracked_idler.jpg

004_secondary_tensioner_fallen.jpg

005_broken_tensioner_surface.jpg

006_broken_worn_tensioner_surface.jpg

007_all_new.jpg

I more I think about this the luckier I feel. Getting it sorted on Tuesday for under £200 which seems reasonable judging by the prices quotes on these forums.