is it worth getting a 4 x 4 version compared to 2 wheel drive?

Hi guys!

I've got to place an order for a new car in a couple of weeks time. The favourite, at the moment is a 2.0Tdi 170 Elegence spec, combi, manual.

I'm half fancying the 4 x 4 varient in response to the crap weather that we've had this year with over 3 months of frequent sub zero temperatures and of course the snow. The problem comes in that as a company car, I am of course taxed on the basis of the emissions, and as we all know the emissions of the 4 x 4 are quite a bit higher than that of the normal drive train.

So the question is....is it worth while getting a 4 x 4? how capable are they in the dry? wet?...ice?..or snow? or for what I'll save in tax (roughly £40/ month over 3 years) should I just buy some winter tryres (which will need to be paid out of my own pocket) and get the non 4 x 4 version?

Cheers,

Andrew

Unless you have a crystal ball and can predict several more bad winters I would stick to the 2WD variant. Apart from better emissions you will have cheaper servicing, less weight to haul around and the extra cost would buy you a set of alloys and 4 top quality snow tyres to get you through the winter.

Traction is certainly a problem even after the snow has gone with the slime left on the roads by all the salt and grit, but on a dry road (or a soaking wet one) 2WD is adequate.

We've currently got a Kia Sorento (old skool manual-change over with limited slip-diff, low box and Box Chassis 4x4) and have ordered a Superb Estate in 4x4. Personally, i would not be without 4x4 on any of my next cars. - more economy, more space, better handling, more style and comfort are all reasons for change...

In the North East over the last winter and the hours that i work (self-employed) i would not have been able to get to some jobs, without the 4x4.

It is however, a real shame that an Auto box is not available n the 4x4 guise, as this would have been my top choice; saying that, the 6 speed manual that i test drove (in a 140bhp hatch) was a great feeling box, and i dont think i'll have any problems with it in the 170 bhp version i have ordered.

Al.

I did consider getting a 4x4 but decided that the actual number of days we get lying snow and ice are so few that it was unnecessary. However this winter has been unusual but my Superb cr170 has navigated its way through my estate - which has its share of bends and gradients - in a very easy manner thanks to the electronic systems designed for just such a purpose. I have some 'snowsocks' for the tyres should it ever get tricky but as yet i haven't needed them. There are many cars on my estate which have really struggled but i have been very impressed with my car. We now have 9-10 months ahead of us where the lighter weight and better emissions/mpg of the 2wd Superb will come into its own, so in summary if you live out in the sticks or want the reassurance of 4wd then go for it, if not then you wil find that the 2wd Superb is a very good car and the better overall bet, particularly if you run with either wintertyres or snow socks just in case it's a bad winter.

The only other consideration I can think of is if the suspension setup is much different on the 4x4 model. On the Octy mk1's this was the case, so there was a handling case for buying a 4x4 over the 2wd versions . . .

As for the winter driving bit; tbh, I didn't find 2wd a real problem this winter and it's pretty hilly around here. If the hill was too steep to get up (I didn't actually get defeated by any hills as it happens, but that said, I didn't attempt a few . . .) then I wouldn't fancy trying to get back down again, in either two or four wheel drive.

Pucker snow tyres on a spare pair of alloys would be my choice in your shoes. Can pop them on the front then if the weather gets really rough to just give that additional traction . . . if you're feeling flash, could get a matching set for the rears too . . . :)

Edited by yashicamat

So the question is....is it worth while getting a 4 x 4

If the possibility of bad weather is your main decider - no.

If you decider is financial, definitely no.

If, however, you want to drive safer or push it a little harder, then YES - every time! :)

Ray

Hi

I've just taken delivery of an Elegance 170 CR TDi 4X4. I traded up from an octavia TDi VRS. I used Vredstein wintrac tyres on my VRS during the winter which i can highly recomend - i'm based in leeds and drive all over the country (about 50k a year) and the VRS coped very well in the slippy stuff - however i started to have issues when i had a car full, either with a couple of passengers in the rear + luggage or with a boot full of equipment - the additional weight on the rear of the car made it almost impossible to get good traction despite the winter tyres - however i will say i never got stuck.

After test driving several alternatives (i was lucky as my dealer had a 4X4 on demo and i was able to drive it during the tail end of the bad weather) i decided on the 4X4 superb as the additional traction at the rear of the car helps with a fully laden car with standard tyres. I've done just shy of 2000 miles since taking delivery two weeks ago and whilst we haven't had any of the slippy stuff again, you can feel the extra grip in the corners. As for figures, the superb accelerates almost as quick as my VRS, average fuel economy over 2000 miles has been 41.2 mpg (according to the on board computer thing), my VRS used to return around 45.

Cheers

Hi

I've just taken delivery of an Elegance 170 CR TDi 4X4. I traded up from an octavia TDi VRS. I used Vredstein wintrac tyres on my VRS during the winter which i can highly recomend - i'm based in leeds and drive all over the country (about 50k a year) and the VRS coped very well in the slippy stuff - however i started to have issues when i had a car full, either with a couple of passengers in the rear + luggage or with a boot full of equipment - the additional weight on the rear of the car made it almost impossible to get good traction despite the winter tyres - however i will say i never got stuck.

After test driving several alternatives (i was lucky as my dealer had a 4X4 on demo and i was able to drive it during the tail end of the bad weather) i decided on the 4X4 superb as the additional traction at the rear of the car helps with a fully laden car with standard tyres. I've done just shy of 2000 miles since taking delivery two weeks ago and whilst we haven't had any of the slippy stuff again, you can feel the extra grip in the corners. As for figures, the superb accelerates almost as quick as my VRS, average fuel economy over 2000 miles has been 41.2 mpg (according to the on board computer thing), my VRS used to return around 45.

Cheers

Cheers for that. A lot of similarities here..spooky!!!....I'm in Leeds...the outgoing car is a VRS TDI Estate. Was it D M Keith Leeds? who had the demo car?

Another vote for 4x4 here,

To answer the original question is 4x4 worth getting, well for me it is.

I have found no disadvantages like noise tyre wear or high fuel consumption

I do a lot of driving in bad weather not just snow and ice but rain and feel safer with the extra grip

My expectation is that come trade in time the car should make a good price, also 4x4s are better for towing.

I think Skoda should offer DSG option maybe they will soon

I have heard it suggested before that the transmission noise of some 4 x4 and quattros etc is a little higher, any comments about the noise on the Superb ?

I've driven my car in 2WD variant and I myself have the quattro, noise wise never noticed a thing.

Personally id say that 4WD is worth having especially with the torque CR170. I had a PD170 Passat and even with DSG it was capable of spinning the front wheels up in the wet in most gears

I've driven my car in 2WD variant and I myself have the quattro, noise wise never noticed a thing.

Personally id say that 4WD is worth having especially with the torque CR170. I had a PD170 Passat and even with DSG it was capable of spinning the front wheels up in the wet in most gears

Cheers....I must admit my VRSTdi now isn't great on traction when pulling away, especially if there is an incline or wet surface. The traction control judders quite violently etc.

I'll keep that in mind thanks!