Charging Battery- remove from car?

Hi,

the battery in my 2001 Fabia 1.4 Comfort is as dead as a doornail, having been left unused for six weeks (have new vehicle). I am now preparing to sell it, but I need to get it back up and running first!

I tried to jump start it yesterday, but after 25 minutes charging, there was only enough charge to illuminate the dashboard controls briefly.

I now have a 12V charger to do the job properly. However...

The instructions for the charger state that I should remove the battery from the car before charging. But my Fabia manual says that if I disconnect the battery, I will lose the radio (don't know codes) and possibly electric windows. Furthermore, I have read that you MUST disconnect the battery to charge it (whether it stays in the car or not).

So... what do I do? Clear I'm not a technician.

Any help/advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

John

Radio will be fine assuming it's the standard one, as will be windows etc. The only thing that reset are the clocks/MPG etc. As for removing it, as long as it's not connected I see know need (could be wrong though), and assuming it won't put the car/charger at risk being left out I can't see an issue.

I have in the past , and still do charge all the cars and motorcycles I have owned ,whilst still connected in the vehicle,without any problems in the last 50 years!. I would never use,or let any body else use on my vehicles one of those large fast garage chargers!!. They are made to allow Garages, and Breakdown Companies to turn the repair around as quick as possible .

Any person that does not agree needs to answer this question- . A fitted Alternator when needed can supply up to 100 amps to the battery,without any battery or other electronic damage . How can a separate well designed charger of say 2 to 10 amps do any harm?. Electronic components are more likely to fail when there supply is switched on and off than if they are permanently supplied with voltage. In modern Electronics there are no mechanical on/off switches most items are 'sleeping' waiting to fully switch on. (TV's ,Computers, Printers, Hi Fi,Washing Machines etc.)

Edited by AndyPandy

I've charged a failing battery on a omega with a auto fast charger (4-6amps), whilst still connected to the car. Without any problems what so ever.

I've also connected the battery on the Octy II multiple times with the same charger, whilst still connected to the car.