Replacing The Skoda Radio

I run the combined dab/fm aerial. its about 2 inches longer than the oem one. I think the UK uses all the bands except for L at the moment, but ntl have been testing in that band.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't have the correct adaptors/boosters and I have lost LW/AM reception. I never listen to stations on these bands so I've never got round to fixing this.

Funny how ancient threads sometimes get revived! I'm still happy with my Sony anyway, although next time maybe I'll buy somethign that doesn't have such a bright display. I like the look of the retro-Pioneer that a few people here have bought.

You will also notice that reception on FM is poorer, I got fed up of the constant drifting on local stations so put the booster thing in. and presto FM/MW/LW all back to normal.

Some of the ariels out there on the cars are amplified and require an adapter. This basically reduces the signal to the stereo and makes it usable. Most head units use standard ISO connectors for the stereos and can plug more or less staight into the wiring looms that come with new stereos. If your new stereo has bullet connectors about half way down the wiring looms on the red and yellow wires then swap them round (red to yellow) and they will work. If not then an adaptor will be required or the wiring looms cut and connected. Facia adapters are available from a large number of sources (although I usually use Halfords for ease). Space out the back of the stereo is usually quite limited but things can be made to fit easilly by tucking/pulling wires out the way easilly enough.

To remove stereos with the rectangular holes, two bits of metal about 8cm long pushed in usually release the locks well (Pioneer keys are ideal). Don't be afraid to break things, chances are you won't, I havent yet with at least 40 stereo changes under my belt.

Stereos with two round holes, a metal coat hanger cut into 2 u shaped pieces about 10cm deep will do the job.