Heated rear window & external temperature

My rear window heater has never worked properly since I've had the car. Mitchell Skoda diagnosed a faulty heater element and the rear window was replaced under warranty about 10 days ago.

This morning was the first chance I've had to test the repair; there was a thin layer of condensation on the outside of the window and I switched on the HRW to clear it. The dashboard warning light and the Bolero display confirmed that it had been switched on (as did the relay "tick" from the depths of the dashboard) but there was no effect whatsoever on the window. The ambient temperatire was 9C - 10 C.

I called Mitchell Skoda to ask about this and they told me that the HRW does not work above 4C, even though the tell-tales suggest that it is on. Any fogging up of the INSIDE of the window is supposed to be sorted out by the car's ventilation system but the outside - well, that's your problem.

Can anyone confirm that this is how their HRW behaves or am I being spun a yarn? It seems very odd that Skoda would decide for me that the HRW should not work obove 4C - we've all seen windows fog up at temperatures much higher than 4C. Is this taking the control of global warming to extremes? :-)

Many thanks, BlackCat3000

I never found the rear screen demister to be very efficient either, it took ages to clear mine when there was moisture on the outside. I think it does work above 4c, I have never seen a car where its the case that it doesnt.

The manual says:

The rear window heater only operates when the engine is running.

The rear window heater switches off automatically after 10 minutes.

For the sake of the environment

You should switch off the rear window heater as soon as the rear window is clear.

The reduced current consumption will have a favourable effect on fuel economy

⇒ page 191, “Saving electricityâ€.

Note

• The position and the shape of the switch can differ depending on equipment

installed in the vehicle.

• If the on-board voltage drops, the rear window heater is switched off automatically,

in order to provide sufficient electrical energy for the engine control

Where did that <4° BS come from - was it "Creative Customer Rebuttal School"?

Ray

Mitchell Skoda told me that the heated mirrors operate on the same principle - if you switch them on above 4C then they won't actually do anything unless the temperature falls to < 4C. This is, supposedly, so that you can leave the switch set on all the time without using juice to power them unless it is really necessary.

I've logged a question with Skoda UK to see what is their take on this. If the 4C thing is true then I won't know for sure whether the flipping thing works until next October/November!!

There's more than just a whiff of BS in the air. This morning it was 6.5C and I squeegee'd the condensation off the outside of the rear window before driving off. Within a couple of minutes inside of the rear window fogged up a bit so I turned on the HRW, thinking I was going to be wasting my time. Sure enough, though, the heater cleared the window reasonably quickly, so this 4C thing is definitely garbage.

Maybe the heater is just feeble compared to the one on my old Superb?

Although I was sure that the <4° was BS - to be fair - the clearing of internal fogging is what the HRS is for, isn't it?

Although we may have expectations of these devices evaporating external water and melting snow and ice, it's down to the driver to ensure clear vision in all directions before driving away.

For that reason, IMO, the HRS is working as it was intended to. :)

Ray

Roadcrafty is correct here but it leaves me wondering what is the real purpose of the HRW in Skoda's eyes, since the dealer told me that the demisting of the interior glass surfaces is a function of the car's ventilation system (above 4C, at least). Guess that's their take on it but I'm not inclined to agree entirely.

My old Superb's HRW would shift condensation from the outside but this one doesn't. Reckon I'll just have to learn to live with it and get a life. :yes: