Octavia VRS 02

jonoyork

hi there, i'm new to this site as i have just purchased a octavia vrs 02 with 95k with FSH. 1) when driving going over the slightest of bumps there is a annoying knock or rattle coming from the near side front! any ideas on that one would be welcomed. 2) Every now and then the car would balk and nearly stall seems to be a fuel starvation problem?? any ideas? 3)idle is up and down a bit on tick over, sometimes it goes mad!! revs drop and a horrible noise like engine is about to turn into the excorsit!! :S. apart from that its a lovely car to drive and goes like a stink!!

thanks Jono

hi there, i'm new to this site as i have just purchased a octavia vrs 02 with 95k with FSH. 1) when driving going over the slightest of bumps there is a annoying knock or rattle coming from the near side front! any ideas on that one would be welcomed. 2) Every now and then the car would balk and nearly stall seems to be a fuel starvation problem?? any ideas? 3)idle is up and down a bit on tick over, sometimes it goes mad!! revs drop and a horrible noise like engine is about to turn into the excorsit!! :S. apart from that its a lovely car to drive and goes like a stink!!

thanks Jono

Most knocks/rattles etc from the front seem to be down to worn ARB bushes.

Erratic running as you describe may be down to one or more of the coil packs about to fail.

Another vote here for the ARB bushes.

The erratic running issue could be any of a number of common issues. I would suggest you find a local member on here who has vagcom to do a fault code scan as a first measure. Most of the time these things turn out to he easy fixes such as coilpacks, dirty throttle body, failed MAFs etc

Knocks could be down to Anti roll bar bushes, wishbone bushes, exhaust bracket broken, or radiator mounts loose. I would say the rough running could be down the throttle body needing a clean, Mine suffered with both the faults you have and turned out to be due to all of the above. Runs sweet as a nut now.