Whistling vRS

Hi Folks,

I hope that knowledgable guru's on here can help with a irritating noise coming from the engine compartment of our petrol vRS. The noise is a constant whistle, audible within the car, windows shut, from idle all the way through the rev range, during which the pitch & volume do not appear to alter significantly. We've only had the car a month so still getting used to its various foibels, As I only drive the car occasionally, ( it is SWMBO's daily drive) I cannot comment on how long this noise has been there other than 2 weeks that I know of. Apart from the standard "turn the stereo on" I thought that people on this forum would know if this noise was standard or if we need to say hello to our dealer. On a brighter note that car is fulfilling all our expectations, comparing it to the Clio 172 that we previously had, it is quieter, ride is better, seats as comfortable, handling less sharp but not drastically so, the stereo is better, fuel consumption about the same, and oh yes the boot is bigger.

Hi

Picked up mine at the beginning of April and at 240 miles it had a noise that sounds the same as yours, a very high pitched whistle audible from inside the car. It is constant in its tone and is there at idle and when running. The car has been back at the dealers and despite them having it all day they could not identify what the noise was, (although it is at least there for them to hear) they 'think' it might be the fuel rail and I have been waiting for the part to arrive.

As the miles have increased and I have been able to use a bit more of the rev range :thumbup: it has become less noticeable.

Anybody else got any clues as to what this might be?

does it whistle on idle to?

Yes it "whistles" when stationary at tick-over, however having been out in the car this morning it did not whistle from initial start -up, but did whistle from start-up when warm, could'nt tell if & when the whistle started as I had taken my own advice & had the stereo on :)

• 7 months later...

reviving an old thread, I know - but can I ask whether your issues were fixed? I am having the same problem and the car has already been back once to the dealers, to have an air conditioning compressor unit changed, which made the sound go away. But it is back with a vengeance again ...