Anyone driven 1.2TSi?

Has anyone actually driven the 1.2TSi engine in the Octavia?

Just curious to see what it's like. But be realistic if you got one as a courtesy car while your 300BHP vRS was in for service saying 'it's well slow' isn't helping. Ideally someone who has driven other cars of this size will circa 100BHP to make a fair comparision, maybe someone with a MKI Octavia 1.6SR has driven the new 1.2TSi as this I imagine would be roughly the same in performance? Or perhaps not?

Yes, in a different topic, RangerMD of Greece responded to me and I've pasted it below as a starter. Subject to his confirmation the engine is at least as good as the VW 1600cc normally aspirated petrol version engine but with 45+mpg potential:

The car only has 1100 kms on it, I have read that consumption can be expected to decline further. Also, these are true numbers and I avoid always keeping low revs for better running in. So Yes, believe 45 mpg are realistic.

My only concern would be tight turns on uphill roads: you need to keep revs above 1500 to avoid switching down to second or 1st gear. That is you need to have one of those gears in already! However, I am not aware of many 1600 normal aspirated engines (especially 16 valve ones) that could move an octavia with 1300 revs in this situation.

The car was measured with the Bosch horsepower system here in Greece. They reported 124 PS and 206 kg of torque!

Hi guys, has no-one else tried the 1.2TSI Octavia in Europe yet??? We don't have it in the UK yet, but I reckon a lot of folk would be interested in hearing about it. Key point of interest for me is if it is significantly more economical than my 1.4 TSI without compromising enjoyable performance...

I'm particularly interested in hearing from former 1.4 and 1.6 MPI owners.

Edited by Cauliflower

I had a courtesy Yeti 1.2S for three days whilst my Octavia VRS (Petrol) was in for a service. Given that the Yeti has an Octavia Scout chassis (I think) I would imagine that the performance and economy figures would be on a par.

I found the engine reasonable. It was quick enough on the motorway and could keep up with traffic ok, but ran out of real puff at about 75mph (indicated) and you needed to change down for any overtaking progress. However around town it had to be worked hard and that impacted the fuel economy quite a bit. Over the three days I got no more than 45mpg in mixed driving conditions. If I had to balance power and economy I would be very happy with a 1.4 TSI Octavia, I think the extra 17bhp makes a considerable difference and the fuel economy doesn't suffer much at all.

Thankfully I didn't have to balance power and economy and I chose POWER mmmmmmmm VRS.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks, I'm finally on Briskoda!

I recently ordered a 1.2TSI Octavia and expect delivery in mid July, its being built this week. I did take it for a test drive, and though I haven't had the chance of any motorway driving, I can broadly agree with Ranger MD... performance is more than adequate as long as the turbo is spinning. You must adjust your driving style a little for the relatively slow pick up below 1500 or so rpm. It is a world away from the likes of the 1.4 MPI in older Octavias in terms of outright performance. I'm currently running an older VW 1.4MPI and my father has an Octavia II 1.4MPI.

In terms of absolute economy, I think its too early to say for the 1.2 TSI in particular. It depends what you want - if you want to enjoy your driving the numbers will dip surely, but it should make a torquey comfortable long distance cruiser, and with the 6 speed manual, or DSG, achieve diesel approaching economy. Autocar recently were disappointed with the economy of the 1.2TSI in a Golf 3 door. Economy should improve with age though.

I would say the economy will be broadly similar to the 1.4 TSI, not considerably better...similar pace-wise to the 1.6 MPI, (and only a second slower to 60 than a 1.4TSI), maybe nearer the old 1.6 FSI in truth, slight question mark over outright economy at this stage.

Still can't wait though......................I'll update when I have a few miles up! K