Turbo Whining!

I recently bought an 06 reg Octavia 2.0 PD 140 with 49,000 miles on it.

When the engine is cold and at low revs in first and second gear the turbo sometimes sounds like a police siren!

It only does it briefly and never once the engine is warm. Is this normal or does it show a problem with the turbo?

The engine also seems to run out of power after about 3500 rpm. Is this normal? Acceleration below this is rapid however!

Thanks

Edited by octavia82

Mines been making that noise from when I got it at 57k, it's now on 119k,

although it has just got louder & now sounds more like a supercharger.

I'll let you know how much the garage bill is, when it's exchanged this week (hopefully before it pops).

Sounds quite normal to me, just the sound of the turbo speeding up to provide boost, the power starting to run out at 3500 rpm sounds a little shy to me though. I would have expected near to 4000 rpm.

The turbo does whistle a bit especially if you change gear at about 2k. If it's excessively loud, I've heard of cases of inlet tubing splitting or coming loose making whooshing noises.

Both pd engines I've owned all but curled up and died past 3.5k rpm. Loads of "go" between 2 and 3.5 though.