Xenons on Octy2 Classic?

Was driving an Octy2 around this week as a loan car from the dealer while my Fabia was being fixed.

One thing puzzled me - it had Xenons, but as far as I could tell it seemed to be Classic spec - no air con, no remote c/locking etc. But the option list I downloaded from Skoda website last week says you can't have Xenons on a Classic - not even as an option. So what was I driving? :confused:

(BTW Interesting contrast between my PD 100 Fabia Estate vs (?PD105) diesel in Octavia - especially as they both cost similar amounts. Octavia felt surprisingly fast given extra weight but steering more cumbersome somehow. Would stick with Fabia unless I really needed the huge boot though - and Fabia estate has a decent amount of boot space already.)

Are you sure it had Xenons?
I'm no expert - but they were brighter and just different to halogens.

For instance, looking into the headlights (when switched off), you could see the bulb was bigger and rounder - more like a flattened 60w bulb from a house light socket - very different to the halogens in my Furby.

The pattern of light on dark country roads was very different too - there was a distinct horizontal (ish) line with darkness above the line and lots of light below it. Normal halogens seem to have refracted patterns in most directions including above the main direction of the light - these bulbs didn't do that.

When I followed another closely in a slow queue I could see colours (like a rainbow) along the top edge of the light beam pattern - again my Furby halogens don't do this.

Like I said I'm no expert - how else would I tell Xenons from Halogens?

Did you have a level wheel inside?

Did it have headlight washer jets? (although even non xenons can have them now)

Just i ask as weve had a couple of people comment on this subject. Classics have projector headlamps which do look quite different to regular headlamps that come on the A4 Octavia.

Did you have a level wheel inside?

Did it have headlight washer jets? (although even non xenons can have them now)

Just i ask as weve had a couple of people comment on this subject. Classics have projector headlamps which do look quite different to regular headlamps that come on the A4 Octavia.

Yes it had a level wheel.

I didn't notice washer jets though - so probably didn't have them.

What do projector headlamps look like? How do you tell 'em from Xenons?

Yes it had a level wheel.

I didn't notice washer jets though - so probably didn't have them.

What do projector headlamps look like? How do you tell 'em from Xenons?

Not Xenons - they are self levelling. Having Xenons on my Octy the two most distinguishing features are (1) they're feckin bright :eek: and (2) when you switch them on they sort of "flash" or "flick" on - it's very obvious if you're close to a another car or a wall.

If it had a level wheel then its definately not Xenons, Xenons have to be auto adjusting for level. They were projector lamps.
Ah that makes sense - my mistake then. :blush: :sorry:

They were good though - definitely better than standard halogens.

When the bulbs go, are the bulbs in projector lamps as tricky to replace as Xenons or can ordinary incompetent punters like me change the bulbs?

Bascially the bulb and the rear of the lamp is much the same as the old type lamps. What has changed is where the bulb sits in the lamp and how the beam is projected.

Audi have been running this kind of lamp since the A6 was brought out in 1997.

Ross, Thanks for that.

:cheers: