105 PD Timing Belt Change

Hi Guys,

Just a little help needed, my timing belt is due for change soon (October), and ive got two quotes from nearby skoda garages, one is £355.39 (including everything VAT ect), and another for £400.00 on the dot for everything again, which includes a water pump change too, firstly how important is the water pump and are these prices decent? or is it better to go to a local garage?

Thanks for your time,

Dave

Edited by menacer

Hi Dave

Have a look at this

Full timing belt kit, genuine VW parts, from Rainworth Skoda in Mansfield, £83.99 delivered.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/04-08-SKODA-OCTAVIA-A5-1-9TDI-CAM-BELT-KIT-038198119A-/380196743297?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item58857de881

(I've just yesterday used this dealers eBay sales to get a new aerial for my Octavia -- superquick email confirmation of the order, and also that the parts ordered were correct - and assurance that the parts will be dispatched today as well.)

Water pumps are less than £30 from main dealer.

Once the belt is off, it's only a few minutes of a job to change the water pump. Essential to do this at the time, because if the water pump fails at some later date, it's yet another cam belt kit to fit AS WELL, because the cam belt has to come off to get access to the water pump. (The water pump is cam belt driven)

I'd personally get an independent to fit it -- I had mine done last year, and the total cost was under £220 with genuine parts fitted.

Hope this helps

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the quick and informative reply. I shall order that kit in the next couple of days, its certainly cheaper than the kit at my local skoda garage (£111.10 inc VAT). Just rang my trusty local garage and then will only buy the parts themselves and fit them, they wont let me use the kit I buy! ah nevermind, my garage is asking £160 labour + parts so it will be around 300 ish anyway, this is a tough one. He also said that he would use a belt made by the name of Gates? never heard of them, i need genuine parts to keep this warranty.

Thanks again,

Dave