Yeti now run in

hazy

Initial thoughts now that the car is run in. Feels solid and well built. Engine is very quiet, slightly quieter than the 140 TDI that I test drove. The 140 averaged 50.1 mpg and my 110 2WD averaged over 55 mpg on the same route. The average MPG since I drove it off the forecourt is over 59 mpg, much better than I expected.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51529540@N08/4773842015/

This is despite quite an adventurous first 600 miles including going over Ben Lawers, the Devils Elbow and 70 mph down motorways in a gale. The car is more stable in cross winds than my last car.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51529540@N08/4773842601/

I tried changing a wheel as it is always better to know what to do as most punctures seem to happen at night in pouring rain by the side of a busy road. The kit provided is good quality. The jack was very impressive, stable and easy to operate. The wheel brace is marginal for undoing the wheel nuts and as I weigh only nine stone, standing on it doesn't make much difference, but I carry an extendable wheelbrace as well so that was not a problem.

What don't I like? Mainly small things. The lack of markings at 30 and 70 mph on a 160 mph! speedometer. Should have a lower maximum and more intermediate markings. It is a pity that you cannot set the secondary digital display to MPH. Also the heater controls on the S trim are just three identical black circular knobs. The only clue as to what the settings you have made are tiny white squares behind a chrome rim, which also looks white. Should have some indication on the front of the knobs showing which direction they are pointing in.

I am also finding the ride a little firmer that I expected. On smooth roads it is fine but on bumpy rural roads, which we have plenty of up here, the ride is 'busy' with constant movement. The SE models I test drove had 17 inch wheels with lower profile tyres so I expected the smaller wheels and higher profile tyres would be better, like the 1.2 TSI S which I drove which had a supple ride. Perhaps the ride will smooth out with time as my last car did.

The Yeti rubber mats are good. They fit perfectly and have a raised rim to prevent melting snow running off the edge. The dealer-fit short aerial works really well. I had a short aerial on my last car and it spent most of the time searching for a signal in remote areas. The Yeti has never had a moment of fade or interference so far.

Overall, an impressive car. My first Skoda. Peoples reactions to it are interesting. I haven't detected any snobbery towards the brand, in fact people can't wait to tell you how good Skodas are nowadays. I have had a visit from a passing Honda CRV and Nissan X-trail owner, keen to look over the car. They seemed impressed as niether had seen one before and didn't even know there was such a thing.

Yetis are still scarce around here although starting to appear. I formed my first Yeti convoy with a green TDI 4WD the other day and saw two Yetis with Skoda Official Car stickers in Killin yesterday. I am sure we will see many more soon. My dealer had an allocation of 18 Yetis and had sold over 45 when I last spoke to them!

Hi Hazy,

You certainly live in the right part of the UK to get the most out of your Yeti. Scotland is a beautiful place and I have in mind to do a "grand tour" next year in my monster. I've been quite a few times but not to the very top. John O'Groats across to Cape Wrath and explore the Hebridean islands. That will be a great trip.