Towing

Hi,

I'm a new member with lots of questions who is looking at buying a Superb Estate 4x4 (diesel) for towing. Does any know what the towbar prep is ? I've asked our local dealer and phoned Skoda who both don't seem to know. Would it disable the reversing sensors for example? It seems to work out more expensive that just going the after market route. Is there anyone out there towing with a Superb ? What towbar did you get?

Also what real world fuel economy are people getting from the 4x4 (solo/towing)?

Cheers.

When I was trying to decide what to order I couldnt get a proper answer either on the towbar prep, all the dealers said was 'dont bother, just fit an aftermarket one - its better & cheaper'.

Theres a lot of discussion in this thread about the towbar prep not powering fridge etc when towing a caravan. I think the prep is just an extra wiring loom.

I've spoken to a towbar company in Blackburn (Lancs) who sounded very knowlegeable about the skodas.They said they have fixed a few superbs that dont power the fridge etc - I'm guessing these are the towbar prep'd ones?? They do a fixed swan kneck for ~£470, another £100 for detatchable. They said this will run the fridge etc & uses the cars canbus to check the trailer lights, so no more buzzers when indicating. They are http://www.trailersandtowbars.co.uk/

From what Ive read, if you get one fitted check the fitter can program the car (vagcom??) as this will do the light checking, disable reverse sensors, disable rear fogs etc when hithched up. I've also read somewhere that if the alarm is set on the car & the trailer is disconnected, it will trigger the cars alarm - clever stuff!

As for the economy, I'll have a look in Practical caravan Mag as its just won its class in towcar of the year awards.

[Edit] Just checked PC & its not the 4x4 they tested. Thats probably lined up for next years award ;) The mpg figures they quoted are the ones from Skoda.

Edited by dbskoda

Hi,

I'm a new member with lots of questions who is looking at buying a Superb Estate 4x4 (diesel) for towing. Does any know what the towbar prep is ? I've asked our local dealer and phoned Skoda who both don't seem to know. Would it disable the reversing sensors for example? It seems to work out more expensive that just going the after market route. Is there anyone out there towing with a Superb ? What towbar did you get?

Also what real world fuel economy are people getting from the 4x4 (solo/towing)?

Cheers.

My 2009 CR 170 Elegance (2 wheel drive) DSG saloon has factory tow bar prep, dealer fitted Skoda standard detachable towbar, with Skoda modifed wiring to ensure fridge/charging all work while towing. It has averaged 44mpg actual, (48mpg car computer) while not towing, and 25 to 27mpg towing a twin axle 7.83m long, 1589kg MTPLN Bailey caravan, usual dual carriageway towing speed of around 58mph, normally on cruise control. Completely stable, everything works, just rather boring driving! PM me if you want more detailed information though as already pointed out there are several threads on here re tow bar prep and problems associated with cars built before the end of summer 2009.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...