Fabia VRS front wheel bearing replacement.

marktaylor

I've just done my front wheel bearing, if you know how to use a set of tools then do it yourself you will save a fortune. OEM part from tps is about £70 that includes the wheel bearing in the flange.

Simple how to : (not great)

1 : Before you jack the car up, loosen off the hubnut.

2 : loosen wheel bolts

3 : jack car up & remove wheel

4 : spray lots of wd40 / similar ptfe spray.

5 : on the back of the hub, loosen the two 19mm bolts holding the brake calipers on, remove brake calipar and hang it on the spring up high in the arch with a hook or something.

6 : Loosen the Nut and bolt at the bottom of your suspension / coilovers (so the hub can drop off the bottom of this)

7 : There are a couple of hoses that need to be released from the hub

8 : take the hubnut all the way off

9 : On the left / right of the hub you will see the rod that moves when you turn the hub, remove the nut on top. TIP : if this nut doesnt come off or is fooked, then raise the jack onto the bottom of the rod to hold the nut in place, this will alow you to remove the nut.

10: Turn the hub once remove the nut so you can nock that pin out of the hub leaving that rod hanging loose, move it out the way for now.

11: at the bottom of the hub, you will see 3 13mm nuts ( DO NOT REMOVE THESE) if you remove them, then you will adjust the camber and you dont want that.

12 : Next to those 3 nuts you will see a swivel pin ball joint, remove the nut on top of this, it will be a pain but it must be removed. once the nut is off, turn the hub to the left or right, it should be nice and loose now. Nock that pin out by jacking up JUST the hub, not the wishbone, and then hit that pin very hard if its tight in the hub and the wishbone will drop down about 3 inches.

13: If you havent already done it, slide the driveshaft out, may need to turn the hub at an angle.

14 : With a rubber mallet, if the hub sits around the suspension tightly, just hit it down.

15 : now take your hub to the garage with your new bearing and flange, they will know what to do. They shouldnt charge you any more than 10 quid, its a 10 minute job.

You should now have your hub removed. Here is a picture for you with no hub.

wheelbearing.jpg

Hope this helps, pm me if you need anything else. :D

Mark

• 11 months later...

i think bashing the pin hard withn a hammer is very likely going to damage the thread,

if you instead take 2 hammers and hit the bracket that the pin goes through,from both sides at the same time, difficult i know but if you get it just right the pin will drop like magic,honest,ive done several ball joints,it rarely fails,if you arent changing the track end,,its the safest way to keep the thread intact,hope this helps

• Like 1