turbo whine

patty2k8

Hi people im new to briskoda.

I bought a octy vrs 2001 about 5 month ago and the turbo has now started whining (sounds like supercharger) and when i get to full boost the noise stays constant so my question is,Have my turbo bearings gone or could it be a boost leak, but it doesnt sound like air rushing out of a hole it sounds like a supercharger (just a whine when boost starts and all through boost but when i let off the throttle it stops), albeit a ill supercharger lol, when the car is stood still and i rev it, it doesnt make a noise (sounds healthy). It doesnt use oil or water and there is no smoke, i read another forum that says these engines will use oil but mine has only used what i would consider normel for any car (half a litre in 5 month), is this good or bad, could my turbo be starved of oil?

I have found somewhere to buy a new turbo but i have no idea what else i need to buy eg: oil feed pipe etc.

Can i still use it for work (3 miles a day) until i fix it without worrying about the whole engine going kerput?

All input is apreciated, thanks people.

Guest westallc

turbo is failing

the prob is it could last days or weeks

when mine started whinning it last about 5 hours lol

you will need new turbo and gaskets + oil filter + coolant + oil pick up pipe and sump sealent

not a hard job just takes some time

i have put oil pickup on there as this is prob blocked up and thus has caused the turbo to fail

good luck

p.s dont buy cheap ebay turbos they will fail in hours you need to buy a proper one around £500 new or £250 second hand

Thanks westallc, I found a turbo online for 350+ vat from a place called turbo solutions that price includes me exchanging mine, and I was thinking about doing it myself so if anyone has any tips I'm all ears lol.

Thanks

so what is it that actually causes the whine? Imbalance in the rotating assembly, thrust bearing wear, journal bearing wear?

If whine is very quiet, it's just the compressor blades chopping their way through the air. Just like a mini jet engine.

Mine is a loud whine that just started all of a sudden so I know it's kerplunked lol but it did have a faint whine since I bought it which I was told was normal because I have made a few mods, I can't wait to get it fixed it's like losing a limb lol.