abs and mot

Dear all

Abs and tcs light shows up on my dashboard. My car is due for mot this month. Does it matter if the light is on or will it fail the test? I have already driven a 1000 miles with the light on and there doesnt seem to be a problem with braking..if it is a mot fail then what can be done to sort the problem

Thanks

Dear all

Abs and tcs light shows up on my dashboard. My car is due for mot this month. Does it matter if the light is on or will it fail the test? I have already driven a 1000 miles with the light on and there doesnt seem to be a problem with braking..if it is a mot fail then what can be done to sort the problem

Thanks

Are the lights on from starting the car up or do they come on after a short drive ?

If After a short drive :

Have a quick look at the load sense wire in the engine bay - this can break and causes the ABS/TCS lights to come on.

Cars don't need ABS for the MOT but it may fail with the warning light showing.

Warning light is a definite fail. I had that happen when took 206 to pug dealer for MOt asking them to look at problem and do MOT. They failed car told me cost £200 to replace abs sensors, that it would take a week to get some and that I would need to pay for a retest. did all that two weeks later light back on, they said that it meant that a different two had failed and I needed to pay another £200. That is one of the many pug dealer nightmares that has made me a Skoda owner and much happier.

If the light does not follow the correct sequence according to the vehicle specific information that the tester will view when he logs the test onto the computer, it will be a reason for rejection.

The first thing to do is get the fault codes read that will be stored in the control units, ABS, engine, dash panel, central electrics and the gateway. That will give you a starting point. If it's a fault on a single wheel sensor, a replacement sensor should sort it, if it's a fault on three wheel sensors, you'll likely need a new ABS unit, if it's a flow return pump fault, have a look at the bolted down fuses on top of the battery, you'll be likely to find a 40 amp one blown.