exterior mirrors

I am sure this has been asked already but do the exterior mirrors fold when locking the car with remote? Some topics say they do but i cannot get mine to do so on my elegance 170 CR. They will only close by using the switch on the drivers door. Any help?

I am sure this has been asked already but do the exterior mirrors fold when locking the car with remote? Some topics say they do but i cannot get mine to do so on my elegance 170 CR. They will only close by using the switch on the drivers door. Any help?

On the elegance the door mirrors should fold if ,when locking the door, you continue to press the lock button. At least that is how it happens with mine. Holding the button down also closes any windows that are open.

One thing that I have found is that if windows and roof light are open, holding down the locking button closes them both, but fails to fold the mirrors. If I want the mirrors folded, I have to unlock and re-lock with the remote, again holding the button down.

On the elegance the door mirrors should fold if ,when locking the door, you continue to press the lock button. At least that is how it happens with mine. Holding the button down also closes any windows that are open.

One thing that I have found is that if windows and roof light are open, holding down the locking button closes them both, but fails to fold the mirrors. If I want the mirrors folded, I have to unlock and re-lock with the remote, again holding the button down.

Thanks for that, it now works fine!

So, are we saying that one can make the mirrors fold inwards when locking the car (by holding down locking button on keyfob), but one can not make the mirrors unfold on opening using the keyfob without also causing all the windows to open? Two points on this:

i) This is rather annoying as, to unfold the mirrors using the mirror switch on entering the car, one will have to move the switch to 'fold' and then back to '0'. So, two moves instead of one. Defeating the purpose of using the keyfob to make them fold on exit.

ii) The Superb brochure does clearly state that "Electrically folding door mirrors (after locking of car)" are included under the SE spec list, so it is not lying as such, but it does perhaps mislead one into thinking that the mirrors fold automatically on locking and unlocking of the car, as happens on other makes (e.g. Mercedes).

I am a Superb owner, so am not dissing it. Just a tad disappointed that Skoda have not made it easier (for something that one will likely use several times every day).

On my Mk I and my present Mk II Superb the mirrors automatically unfold when turning on the ignition. I do not use the control knob, nor do I use the lowering in reverse feature I did tr ythis just to make sure it worked when new. If I lock the vehicle with a window open my mirrors do not fold in, I then just press the fob again and they will then fold in, I do not unolck and then relock the vehicle.

Edited by Guest

Spectrum is correct. After exiting the vehicle, instead of a quick press to lock, keep your remote locking button held down for about three more seconds and the mirrors will start to fold inwards. As soon as they start to move you can release the button, no need to hold it until the mirrors have stopped folding inwards.

On re-entering, the mirrors will not move until you insert the key and switch on. At that point they will automatically return to their operating position without you needing to do anything.

BTW, in order for the nearside mirror to dip when engaging reverse, the door knob needs to be positioned in the nearside position. If it's central, no dipping will occur.

Ray.

Spectrum is correct. After exiting the vehicle, instead of a quick press to lock, keep your remote locking button held down for about three more seconds and the mirrors will start to fold inwards. As soon as they start to move you can release the button, no need to hold it until the mirrors have stopped folding inwards.

On re-entering, the mirrors will not move until you insert the key and switch on. At that point they will automatically return to their operating position without you needing to do anything.

BTW, in order for the nearside mirror to dip when engaging reverse, the door knob needs to be positioned in the nearside position. If it's central, no dipping will occur.

Ray.

Exactly right!

Can I just add that as I sometimes have towing mirrors fitted I don't want the folding or reversing dip to be automatic as this would sometimes be a problem. Depending on which way I fit them, folding the mirrors with towing mirrors fitted could cause the frame to make contact with the door. Similarly, the dipping mirror can cause the mirror glass to foul on the fitting clips. Again, I would imagine that it would be inadvisable to have the morrors fold/move if frozen. (I broke the mechanism on a Vectra in the past by trying to move a frozen mirror glass!)

Automatic features are nice, but I like the option of overriding them sometimes.

Thanks for the info. That sounds much more user friendly. Will try it out tomorrow. For the auto-lowering mirrors in reverse, I take it the wing mirror switch should be turned to 'left' (for UK cars)?

Thanks for the info. That sounds much more user friendly. Will try it out tomorrow. For the auto-lowering mirrors in reverse, I take it the wing mirror switch should be turned to 'left' (for UK cars)?

Yes

BTW, if you have Elegance model then the auto lowering works.

Sadly for those of us with an SE or less, they don't :thumbdown:

IIRC, when windows are open, holding the lock button will first close them (if you have windows close option set in MFD) then you need to release and repress & hold lock button (I think) to get mirrors to fold

We had a funny with our Superb last night - my other half pressed and held the lock to get the mirrors to fold in, which they didnt and then it lowered the drivers window!

Got it to work properly in the end but a bit odd that it did that anyway!

• 2 weeks later...

We had a funny with our Superb last night - my other half pressed and held the lock to get the mirrors to fold in, which they didnt and then it lowered the drivers window!

Got it to work properly in the end but a bit odd that it did that anyway!

I have accidentally had that when holding the **unlock** button too long, but not when locking