VRS Boot will not open

rik_t

Minimoke's answer - we have a similar situation with our SDI. Not a problem once you've sussed the technique. I put it down to the child locks. No idea if this is correct as it isn't worth investigating further, but it does seem that if the rear door is child locked then it does unlock at first-unlock (hope that makes sense) and for some reason the boot release is linked to the child-lock. Can't think why and it isn't so with our TDI, but perhaps worth a quick look.

Mine sticks some times, Do you hear a sound when you try to open it, Like clicking sound. If so push the boot lid down and pull it up. my seal some times stick to the boot lid

Hope it helps

I have this problem all the time! it's annoying as hell is the boot refuses to "pop" open from the fob and you have to use 2 hands sometimes to get the boot to open. Is there any way of stopping the seal sticking? Or, if it isnt the seal that is causing the problem, any ideas as to what might be causing it?!

I have this problem all the time! it's annoying as hell is the boot refuses to "pop" open from the fob and you have to use 2 hands sometimes to get the boot to open. Is there any way of stopping the seal sticking? Or, if it isnt the seal that is causing the problem, any ideas as to what might be causing it?!

I also have this problem - requiring the same work-around as you. It started shortly after a repair to the rear of the car. It is purely mechanical - due to a slight misalignment. It mostly occurs when the car is parked with the chassis slightly twisted. Does anyone know what I can adjust, if anything?

I wish I had the same issue. Mine will not even get that far, it does not "pop" open / release with either the button or the fob. Going to get a multimetre on the plug which connects to the solenoid this week.

mine tries to "pop" but never actually pops. it whirrs like it should. It annoying...and no-one else manages to open my boot except me....which is annoying for the parents if they need to borrow it and put something in there!!

mine tries to "pop" but never actually pops. it whirrs like it should. It annoying...and no-one else manages to open my boot except me....which is annoying for the parents if they need to borrow it and put something in there!!

What I do with mine is push hard against the handle - towards the boot - squeeze the handle and then press the release on the fob. This works unless the car is particularly twisted - in which case I have to move it onto a flat area. There must be some adjustment that can fix this.

Thats how mine started, there was a "whirring" noise from the boot area but it still opened. Then next time it did the same, went quiet and has not opened since.

Thats how mine started, there was a "whirring" noise from the boot area but it still opened. Then next time it did the same, went quiet and has not opened since.

yup, exactly like mine is at the moment! it whirrs like it should...just no popping action and a struggle to open it!

yup, exactly like mine is at the moment! it whirrs like it should...just no popping action and a struggle to open it!

Same here - it whirrs, but something sticks unless I push the lid hard inwards, which works most of the time.

Same here - it whirrs, but something sticks unless I push the lid hard inwards, which works most of the time.

I may get the garage to have a look at that as well tomorrow when they have a look at what my random knocking/grinding noise is! Never rains but it pours!

We had this problem on the other halfs 04 Vrs, the only way we could open the boot was from the inside! What we did was removed and dismantled the solenoid, inside there is a spring and a motor. We took the spring out and cleaned it with some wire wool, re lubricated it and put it back together. We also well lubricated the orange catch on the boot lid and removed the black plastic buffer type thing as it seemed to be putting extra strain on the solenoid! All seems to be well now :thumbup:B)

• Like 1

well, the car i just bought apparently has the same problem, but the owner told me how to open it....

He said @if you push the button on the boot four times in quick succession it will open', and... It did!!

Try this and see if it works!!

Beem out with the multimeter. Connected it to the plug which goes into the solenoid. I can't seem to get much reading from the plug when trying to open the boot, around 1.6k(not sure what this means?). So I'm not sure now what to do.

Edited by rik_t

• 3 years later...

I've had this happen with my car, the latch had been bent a little out of shape and stopped the mechanism from opening automatically, small adjustment with a soft hammer and everything was good again.

Right fuse no. 31 I think in top left corner had blown. changed it and boot opens when I try to open it. reattach the plastic cover and close boot. stuck closed again. check fuse and it's not blown but change it out for good measure and still not working. scratching my head a bit...

• 5 months later...