Could this be the gearbox, am I in trouble

Hi,

I have a pretty long commute about 100 miles each way to work, mainly motorway driving.

have had a few issues with my 53 reg VRS mainly suspension related, only a clunking now when turning and sometimes when starting off... could be CV's ?

Also appears to have an oil leak around the turbo, hoping the best on that, but suspecting the worst at some stage.!!!

However just the end of last week drove home all ok, got within 100 yards of home and was waiting at a junction.

Selected 1st gear rev'd up but with no movement, tried in second.. then same, tried 3rd and car pulled away as if I was in third.

I have taken it to a garage with what I thought would be a linkage problem... however

I am being told that its gearbox.... OMG.

I have asked for a quote to fix, waiting for that tomorrow, I assume arms and legs are involved !!!!! Car is off the road.

What other options do I have and

1. should I get a second opinion.

2 DIY it ?

3. I read about a rebuild is that viable ?

4 anything else ?

Please help as its driving me mad.

Thanks

Guest BigJase88

I got a salvaged box from a member on here as the main shaft in mines went ping!

you will probably have the old box in there, so if its goosed you could uprate and go for the newer ratio gearbox! code for the revised box is HDS!

have a look on ebay.... circa £400 notes on there, i got lucky and got mine for £260

That's assuming the box is the problem

Edited by BigJase88