General info and advice please

Hi, looking to buy either a vrs 170bhp diesel hatch or estate and just wanted advice on what to look out for etc if they have any common defects etc. Also, was the yellow a limited edition colour as it seems quite rare?? Thanks

89 views and not one reply/piece of advise??? :(

Lots of info can be found using search on here fella. Main thing in my experience with the PD 170 engine were Exhaust Gas Pressure sensor / DPF (diesel particulate filter) issues. Nothing catastrophic mind.

Depends on how old you're talking as to if you'll be looking at a PD engined car or the newer CR...

Also, was the yellow a limited edition colour as it seems quite rare?? Thanks

No, it wasn't/isn't a limited edition colour, it's just that most buyers can't quite tick the yellow box on the order for fear that they'll never be able to sell it for a reasonable price come re-sale time :giggle:

Thankfully you'll find plenty of Race Blue and White ones around!

As to what to look for, apart from the issues already mentioned, check inside shoulder of rear tyres as poor geometry setup can result in premature wear (search for "sawtooth"). Apart from that, it's the usual stuff - service history, cam belt change, etc., etc.

Cheers guys, all of the ones I've been looking at so far have had the PD engine, and yes they are nearly all blue, which isnt a problem as I think it is a cracking colour! :) My budget will be upto about 8k when I start seriously looking.

Edited by Malarky

Nothing horrific to look out for. As said, just the usual 'common sense' checks really.

You don't mention what budget or age of car you're looking for? This will obviously vary the options slightly, as to whether you're looking at examples with the PD170 or CR170 unit.

Steve

Hi, looking to buy either a vrs 170bhp diesel hatch or estate and just wanted advice on what to look out for etc if they have any common defects etc. Also, was the yellow a limited edition colour as it seems quite rare?? Thanks

The one thing to watch out for is the inlet manifold. I have heard from other diesel VRS owners that they have had to get them replace....as have I. Lucky I was still in warrenty. It can be a costly replacement, especially if the manifold lets go in a big way.

Second thing to watch for, which is more a wear & tear item, is the bushes on the front of the car.

That's all I can think of for now.