Advice with towbar selection please - conflicting advice

dbskoda

Hi, After a long wait Ive finally got my 140 Estate & lovin it! I'm getting a towbar fitted in the next week or so and I've had some conflicting advice.

Fixed/detatchable - one fitting place say that a fixed wont interfere with parking sensors, another says it will, so suggest a detatchable (also cheaper than the fixed from other fitter??) - both suppliers are speccing westfalia bars & 13 pin electrics.

The place that suggest the detatchable cant code the car, so I'd need to take it to a dealer - so, I rang 2 dealers. One said that it dosent need coding, just the right harness fitting (but would fit a bar for me!) the other dealer said, yes it will need coding & would cost £35+vat - not too bad I thought.

The difference between the two bar fitters is the one saying it wont interfere with the parking sensors (& speccing a fixed bar) is part of NTTA, the other isnt, but seem a big outfit.

Anyone got any advice on

will a fixed bar interfere with the sensors and,

does it need programming on the car? ( I want a proper job, not a scotch-lock fitting)

Thanks for any replies. :)

Hi, After a long wait Ive finally got my 140 Estate & lovin it! I'm getting a towbar fitted in the next week or so and I've had some conflicting advice.

Fixed/detatchable - one fitting place say that a fixed wont interfere with parking sensors, another says it will, so suggest a detatchable (also cheaper than the fixed from other fitter??) - both suppliers are speccing westfalia bars & 13 pin electrics.

The place that suggest the detatchable cant code the car, so I'd need to take it to a dealer - so, I rang 2 dealers. One said that it dosent need coding, just the right harness fitting (but would fit a bar for me!) the other dealer said, yes it will need coding & would cost £35+vat - not too bad I thought.

The difference between the two bar fitters is the one saying it wont interfere with the parking sensors (& speccing a fixed bar) is part of NTTA, the other isnt, but seem a big outfit.

Anyone got any advice on

does it need programming on the car? ( I want a proper job, not a scotch-lock fitting)

Hi DB

I don't think there will be a problem as such with either type of towbar, but the problem comes when you have a trailer attached and the sensors see this as something close to the back of the car all the time, so if you can put up with the buzzer just while you are in reverse when towing, then thats fine.

But there is some systems that detect that you have the trailer plugged in and auto turns off the sensors off, but this is where the programming is needed.

Radiotwo

Well, I went for the fixed bar in the end, it was more expensive than the other fitter, but I felt better about the guys that did it (Redcap garage @ Blackburn) plus if there are any problems, theres only one place to go back to. Really neat job as well.

So far, no interference with the reversing sensors - fingers crossed it will stay this way :)

Anyone got any advice on

I'm a bit late replying but having the Skoda standard detachable, I will say it works perfectly, and of course required no mods to the bumper etc. With it off, the car looks as standard and I don't hit my shins or dirty my trousers on it. Electrics/software should ensure that when towing, reverse gear will not activate sensors and show an 'A' frame on the columbus; reverse sensors will not be affected by the towball if left on in solo configuration; will activate alarm if tow electrics disconnected when alarm set; will charge caravan battery while towing, will operate van fridge while towing; and may change the car's stabilty control programme - no incidents so far that might show this - my caravan also has electronic stability control. A few other threads are on here about very similar issues.

Brian