cracked lump 1.6 AEE

Rory O

Hi Guys,

Can anyone help me??

I have a 1999 Skoda Octavia LX 55kw 1.6 AEE.

There is a hole in the crank case, so new bottom end needed. I have read on the net that the vw golf 3, fabia 1.6 AEE will be a staight swap.

Polo 1.6 AEE is the same just with different engine mounts.

I have the head clutch, mounts etc and all other parts.

I am having difficulty sourcing a 1.6 AEE lump

Could i use any 1.6 lump? AEH / AKL etc

1.6 8v Petrol 1,598 cc (1.598 L; 97.5 cu in) 4cyl SOHC 75 PS (55 kW; 74 hp) @4800 rpm 135 N·m (100 lb·ft) @2800–3600 rpm AEE 1996–2000

1.6 8v Petrol 1,595 cc (1.595 L; 97.3 cu in) 4cyl SOHC 100 PS (74 kW; 99 hp) @5600 rpm 145 N·m (107 lb·ft) @3800 rpm AEH/AKL 1998–2000 (for South America to present)

1.6 8v Petrol 1,595 cc (1.595 L; 97.3 cu in) 4cyl SOHC 102 PS (75 kW; 101 hp) @5600 rpm 148 N·m (109 lb·ft) @3800 rpm AVU/BFQ 2000–present

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%A0koda_Octavia

16AEE.jpg[/img]

16AEE2.jpg

if any one has any input it would be greatly aappreciated.

Cheers lads.

Rory

Hi Guys,

=

I am having difficulty sourcing a 1.6 AEE lump

Could i use any 1.6 lump? AEH / AKL etc

dammit i threw 2 of those away about 3 weeks ago... anyway you cant use an aeh/akl lump because they are totally different, bigger bores and spacing etc.. you need an aee lump tbh, avoid the ones from a mk3 golf becuase they have the old-type chain driven oil pump, possible sources of an aee lump would be a seat ibiza, mk4 polo,, felicia and a few others.. if you do get one you will need to swap over the engine mounts and timing belt covers, plus you will need to use the sump from your existing engine.. you might be better off using a complete engine rather than swapping the head over.... ebay is your best friend!! no more than about £100 i'd have thought

you could also use an ALM or AEA engine code, but you would need to swap the intake manifold and injectors for your existing ones

ebay liink

ebay link 2

dammit i threw 2 of those away about 3 weeks ago... anyway you cant use an aeh/akl lump because they are totally different, bigger bores and spacing etc.. you need an aee lump tbh, avoid the ones from a mk3 golf becuase they have the old-type chain driven oil pump, possible sources of an aee lump would be a seat ibiza, mk4 polo,, felicia and a few others.. if you do get one you will need to swap over the engine mounts and timing belt covers, plus you will need to use the sump from your existing engine.. you might be better off using a complete engine rather than swapping the head over.... ebay is your best friend!! no more than about £100 i'd have thought

you could also use an ALM or AEA engine code, but you would need to swap the intake manifold and injectors for your existing ones

ebay liink

ebay link 2

Cheers Teflon Tom,

rapid reply.

I was on to Stevens VW Dismantlers in Chelmsford, but they weren't sure if this would fit?

STevens in Chelmsford on Ebay

I know the gearbox is different but the block is still the same, right?

I fonud a courier who can delever it for €100 to me here in Dublin, just wanted to make sure.

The second link that you posted was for an ALM will this do the job?

Also i already used the gearbox out of this one so i need a replacement too.

I have a golf estate1998 1.4 APQ 5 speed box. will this fit into the octy too?

your help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers Mate

Rory

yes that would be the correct engine, dont know about the gearbox i'm afraid... apq is the engine code, you need to find out what gearbox code the car is supposed to have.. look on the sticker under the carpet in the boot, it will have a 3 letter transmission code on there somewhere

Ouch! Pretty serious hole there. Was it the con rod that let go and punched it's way out?

Good luck finding the bits you need. Shame the Mk4 Golf was oddly never built with the AEE, makes things a bit rarer.

• 2 weeks later...

yes that would be the correct engine, dont know about the gearbox i'm afraid... apq is the engine code, you need to find out what gearbox code the car is supposed to have.. look on the sticker under the carpet in the boot, it will have a 3 letter transmission code on there somewhere

HI teflon Tom,

I have checked the sticker it says DGL. and is 5 speed.

Will this fit????

Again, your help is greatly appreciated,

Cheers Rory

• 5 months later...