Door opening issue

Hello, not sure if anyone would like a challenge?

I've had my mk1 Octy VRS for a couple of years now and love it apart from two things.

1 an annoying clunk when you drive over sharp bumps. This is felt directly through the steering wheel and i have ruled everything out now apart from the steering rack and/or front shocks/springs.

2 the most annoying is the n/s front door. If the car has been locked via the key or when it auto locks when you pull off, to open the door it takes two handle pulls! It is the only door that does it.

I've heard of the deadlock and needing to pull the lever twice but don't understand it. From outside getting in the car, one pull partly opens the door till it sort of bangs against its latch and then another releases it.

From inside getting out, two firm pulls of the handle lets you out.

This is bl@@dy annoying now and would love to fix it. Any help would be appreciated cheers all!