OBD on 97 Felicia 1.3 LX with carburetor

Guest masster

Guest masster

hi

please help me solve a small mystery about my '97 Felicia 1.3 LX with carburetor. Although it has a very simple engine, it is also fitted with an OBD KKL socket and I was wondering what engine sensors are mounted ? I didn't find anything on Haynes service manual about it. I really don't know even if it has an ECU. I know that previous owner used to get the engine top condition using the VAG service facilities (a special OBD testing unit) but now I can't find him to ask for more details :(.

So (if) any wirings, schematics, fitting locations, tips for engine tweaking using VAG-COM 409, etc. will be greatly appreciated because right now I am dealing with a fluctuating idle and any engine readings would help before looking for vacuum leaks with spray or smoke...

hi

please help me solve a small mystery about my '97 Felicia 1.3 LX with carburetor. Although it has a very simple engine, it is also fitted with an OBD KKL socket and I was wondering what engine sensors are mounted ? I didn't find anything on Haynes service manual about it. I really don't know even if it has an ECU. I know that previous owner used to get the engine top condition using the VAG service facilities (a special OBD testing unit) but now I can't find him to ask for more details :(.

So (if) any wirings, schematics, fitting locations, tips for engine tweaking using VAG-COM 409, etc. will be greatly appreciated because right now I am dealing with a fluctuating idle and any engine readings would help before looking for vacuum leaks with spray or smoke...

Think this probably has mono-point injection rather than a tradiitonal carburettor, instead of the float and needle valve controlling the fuel flow there will be a single injector mounted to the plenum chamber. There will be an ECU, probably a Bosch Motronic, which controls the injection of fuel into the plenum chamber and varies the ignition timing under acceleration.

Don't know much about these systems so can't help you with specifics of what sensors you can find on the engine.

could be a favorit engine in there perhaps?

if it really is a carb engine then the idle wouldn't move around on its own much i'd have thought though.

for a single point injected engine

- get carb cleaner, get the throttle body cleaned up and reset / unplug battery ecu for a period.

- then report back with any news..

Guest masster

could be a favorit engine in there perhaps?

if it really is a carb engine then the idle wouldn't move around on its own much i'd have thought though.

for a single point injected engine

- get carb cleaner, get the throttle body cleaned up and reset / unplug battery ecu for a period.

- then report back with any news..

I know what is supposed to do for getting the engine in top condition. But right now I am interested in using OBD for readings, since Felicia 1.3 LX is not fitted even with a tachometer. That is why I opened this topic, hoping that somebody has first hand info about OBD schematics on this particular car model. I don't think they fitted the car with an OBD socket just for design... but nobody seems to know what is inside...   :smirk:  

Edited by masster

masster - if you know what is needed then pls have a recheck to see if it is a carb or a single point injection throttle body.

the obd socket can be for the timing ecu, the immobiliser too... felicias have chipped keys for example, etc..

i am in the middle of czech republic and see felicias everyday.. but dont think i've seen any or many carbed felicias

BTW

as for tweaking - best just do basics first anyway. properly clean fuel / air / plugs..etc etc..

Guest masster

masster - if you know what is needed then pls have a recheck to see if it is a carb or a single point injection throttle body.

it is a Pierburg 2E-3 carburetor, no more, no less. being an 1.3 LX model, it has the most basic configuration.

unfortunately, the '96 Haynes service manual that I have doesn't show any OBD wiring.

the best thing that I can think of now is you are a Czech citizen and have access to a lot of books and service manuals about Felicia which is a beloved car in there. that's why I would like to ask for help in sharing any newer and relevant PDF documentation that you might have (even in Czech language). I would appreciate it a lot since I am thinking of a general tuning/overhaul in the very near future and I would need also a catalog of parts and Czech parts dealers.

bet it really is the favorit engine then - most likely had a transplant after the original engine self destructed?

so your haynes book isn't going to be so much help - though the basic block / head is much the same.

you're best looking at the engine to see what sensors you can find - rather than looking here :-)

- but you'll not find many.. oil pressure, temp guage..

the obd socket might still show the immobiliser on the car with vagcom, but not much else.

late favorit injected cars had a diagnostic port under the bonnet, on which VAG COM did work -but just for the engine.

but a hunting idle on a carb car? - back to basics me thinks..

HTH.

Guest masster

bet it really is the favorit engine then - most likely had a transplant after the original engine self destructed?
my car neither had a heart attack :) nor a Star Trek self destruction... it has a genuine Felicia engine w/carburetor. so I guess I'll better ask in a Czech forum for better knowledge and luck on documentation issue, since you kindly eluded my request...

well if it has the 43kW engine 135 then it is used in the favorit as well. apologies - my look up charts weren't showing carb parts easily on the felicia.

am not kindly eluding any request - i am ignoring it ;-)

i am not a czech citizen, but am busy enough, so am not going to go looking for obd stuff on a carbed car, that'd be a waste of both our time :-D

as said before - back to basics on this engine.

lots of these were used as upgrades in estelles etc as well with fabbed slanted carb mounts.. it is the same engine by all accounts.

The Carburetor version of the felicia IS a Felicia that was sold in export that was back fitted with a carb instead of injetion to make it cheaper.

they (in asembly) did not fit sensors, computers or anything else related to ijection but, the cars for export came from the same line so they did have the ODBII port and im gessing most of the cabling is there too.