Octavia VRS gearbox problems

Hi Folks,

This is my first post, great site by the way.

I have a manual 08 Octy petrol VRS with 14k and have noticed over the past couple of months a whine from the gearbox in first and second gear, more noticable when decelerating and also that it seems more difficult changing up from 1st to 2nd and down from 3rd to 2nd.

Has anyone else experienced this problem or heard of anything similar? Looking for a bit of advice before I take it back under warranty, thanks.

I'm no expert, but it sounds like a gearbox bearing, seems a bit early for those to be going. Worth getting checked out though

I was thinking it was a bit early myself for something to be going, but I do have a friend who has a Golf GTI 30, and had to have the gearbox replaced at about 20k, unsure if it's the same box though.

• 3 years later...

Sorry to revive this old treat but

Just noticed this in my octy vrs petrol. It whines when car is decelerating in first at around 5-10 mph. I have had the car for over a week with 30k and changed the gearbox oil but still the same. Did you manage to sort this out in your car?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk now Free

Mine also does the same, mainly only noticed it at very low speeds in 2nd at low rpm, it then disapears after certain points

However mines a 10 plate petrol vrs with 66k on it

Drove the car just now and the whine seems a little less noticable. I had just change the gear oil yesterday so maybe that helped abit. Thanks for the replies as the car is new to me, always assuming the worse :)

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk now Free